This fellowship is sponsored by UO Libraries' Special Collections and University Archives at the University of Oregon. The award is for use in 2024.
The intention of the James Laughton Kesey Fellowship is to encourage research within the Ken Kesey Papers. The UO Libraries’ Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) houses the Ken Kesey Papers.
This award supports travel for the purpose of research on, and work with, the Ken Kesey Papers housed in UO Libraries Special collections and University Archives. This short-term research fellowship is open to undergraduates, master’s and doctoral students, postdoctoral scholars, college and university faculty at every rank, and independent scholars working in Vietnam War-era literature and counterculture research. In 2024, fellowships of $3,000 will be awarded to conduct research on the collection. The fellowship selection committee will include representatives from the UO Libraries Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) and faculty from the UO campus. Fellows should be aware that, depending on their status and country of origin, the US government may consider their award taxable income. It is recommended that fellows familiarize themselves with their tax status and take necessary steps to plan for and pay any potential fees.
- Complete their research at the University of Oregon within a year of award notification;
- Present a 30-45 minute, recorded lecture at a virtual speaker series hosted by SCUA, followed by a moderated Q&A;
- Submit a copy of their final project or publication to SCUA;
- Acknowledge the Laughton Kesey Fellowship and its sponsor, UO Special Collections and University Archives, in all publications resulting from the research fellowship.
Applicants must submit by 5 p.m. PST Friday, January 5, 2024
- A 1,000-word (maximum) proposal that describes the project for which these collections will be consulted, as well as the role that the applicant expects these collections will play in the project;
- A curriculum vitae or resume;
- Full contact information;
- Full name of applicant must appear on each page of the application;
- Two letters of recommendation (must be submitted separately to Emily Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fellows awarded funding will be notified by late March of the application year
Laughton Kesey Fellows
- 2021 (multiple awards): Daria Smirnova, Erika Dyck and Patrick Farrell
- 2023: Susan McWilliams Barndt