The University Archives works to retain and preserve University records that have permanent historical or evidential value. If you need to transfer Permanent University Archive Records, which the University Records Manager has deemed allowable, please follow the instructions below for physical transfer procedures.
Note: The Archives does not store records that are scheduled for destruction. The Records Management Program handles non-permanent records that must be kept for a specified period of time and then discarded. The UO Records Retention Schedule determines which records are retained permanently and which records are kept for a limited time (non-permanent). For questions and guidance regarding records management contact UO Records Management at email@example.com.
Permanent Records Procedure
Step 1: Identify Records
Review the UO Records Retention Schedule to identify the records series that are to be sent to Archives.
Step 2: Prepare Boxes
- Use standard records storage boxes (W=12" x L=15"x H=10") with lids and handles. If you have odd size items or records that do not fill an entire box, please contact University Archives.
- Please do not include hanging files or binder. Remove files from hanging folders and binders and place in folders before boxing. Use multiple folders if binder contents are too large for one folder.
- Please keep files in their original order when placing them in boxes. Finding files in "original order" is very important to researchers.
- Do not overfill boxes. Overstuffed boxes pose a safety hazard and can damage the records.
- Loose pamphlets and other items should be placed in folders before being put in boxes.
Step 3: Describe Box Contents
Create an inventory list for each box. Indicate the department name, box number, date range of materials, record series titles from the retention schedule and all folder titles.
University Archives has an Excel template for use by all departments to create box/folder lists for transferring permanent or non-permanent records. Download the Template (xls, 144kb).
Step 4: Send the Transmittal Paperwork
- Fill out a University Archives Transmittal Request. Create and attach a box/folder list created using the Excel template to the online form. Make sure that you fill out all appropriate sections of the transmittal form and save a copy of the form and box/folder list for your records. Use only one transmittal form for each shipment of records. When describing records, please use the record series titles as indicated in the records retention schedule. This helps us process the transmittal and manage the records more efficiently.
- We will confirm the receipt of your transmittal request via e-mail and will send you a memo that describes the delivery process.