If you need an item that cannot be supplied by the UO Libraries or Summit, you can request it through ILL. Articles and book chapters generally arrive within two days. Books and other returnable material generally arrive within ten days.
Submitting ILL Requests through ILLiad
You can start by locating the item you want in LibrarySearch or one of our electronic databases, then click the Interlibrary Loan request button. If you can't find the item in our catalog, you can log in to ILLiad following one of the links below and fill out a request form.
ILLiad Logon: Current UO faculty, students, and staff
If you have never used ILLiad, you will be prompted to set up an account the first time you log in. When you set up your ILLiad account you will select a delivery option. Material can be delivered to your preferred branch library, faculty office, or home (distance education faculty/students only). To check the status of your ILL requests, log in to your ILLiad account. Click here if you need help understanding the status of your request.
- Many libraries charge lending fees. The UO Libraries subsidizes lending fees for current UO faculty, students, and staff ($30 per request for students and staff, $60 per request for faculty). Costs greater than the subsidy are submitted to the requester for authorization before the request is filled.
- During an average year, the Libraries pays about $50,000 in lending fees for UO faculty, students and staff. Please use ILL judiciously so that we can continue to provide this service.
- Oregon Card holders, members of the Alumni Association, and UO Associates are charged a $15 borrowing fee per fulfilled request. Any additional costs (copyright and lending fees) are submitted to the requestor for authorization before the request is filled.
- There is not a set limit to the number of ILL requests that can be submitted; however, we may not be able to process and/or subsidize a large number of transactions simultaneously from any one individual. Additionally, we may refer you to a subject specialist librarian who might be able to help you discover local and readily-available resources.
- Interlibrary Loan is for educational, curricular and scholarly research needs. Please use the Popular Reading Collection or your local public library for recreational material.
- All ILL-related notifications are sent via e-mail.
- Because each request involves payment of lending fees, staff time at both the lending and borrowing libraries, and includes mailing costs, please be sure to pick up the item you requested when you're notified that it has arrived. If you find you don't need the item, please let us know as soon as possible so we can return the material to the lending library.
- Checked out ILL material will not appear in your LibrarySearch account. You will need to log in to ILLiad to see what you have checked out through ILL, and submit renewal requests.
- All ILL items are subject to recall by the lending library at any time, including breaks between terms. If a borrowed item is recalled, you will receive an email notification, including an updated due date.
- Due dates for ILL material are set by the lending libraries.
- You may submit a renewal request throughout the loan period. After the due date, items are no longer renewable. To request a renewal log in to your ILLiad account, click on “View > Checked Out Items,” and click on the Transaction Number for the item you want to renew. When the record opens click the "Renew Request" button. When you click the “Renew Request” button a temporary due date will be assigned. Renewal decisions and the final due date are determined by the lending library. If the item is renewed, you will receive an updated due date via e-mail.
- Overdue and lost/damaged ILL material is subject to fines and fees. Click here to review UO Libraries’ fines and fees.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for or later uses a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. UO Libraries reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Resource Sharing office at 541-346-3055 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm. If you need assistance outside these hours, please call the Knight Library Checkout and Reserve Desk at 541-346-3065.