Workshop: Making Course Documents and Materials Accessible to all Students - 01/31/2018
Knight Library 41
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
2:30pm - 4:00pm
Light snacks and refreshment will be provided.
Please bring a laptop/device and a word document (e.g. syllabus, assignment instructions, etc.)
Word Document Demo
Engage with UDL principles and learn best practices for making your course documents accessible and inclusive to all.
- Understand Universal Design for Learning and inclusivity concepts
- Create accessible word documents
- Create accessible PDFs from a word document
- Create accessible PDFs from a scanned text (book, articles, etc.)
- Learn how to check accessibility in Word and PDFs
- Learn how to incorporate UDL into your Canvas course
Before the workshop, review one or all of these great resources:
- Review Anne Gibson's "An Alphabet of Accessibility" article.
- Read these Accessibility MOOC Excerpts for Discussion
- Watch Portland Community College's ~11 minute "To Care & Comply: Accessibility of Online Course Content".
During the workshop we will have time to dicuss & engage with the content from the article & video.
Resources from Workshop
- Presentation Slides from Workshop
- Creating Accessible Word Documents using a PC
- Creating Accessible Word Documents using a Mac
- Creating an Accessible PDF
Image Credit: Utah Education Network Course