Announcing the 2016-17 Undergraduate Special Collections Internships
A Partnership between the UO Libraries and the Oregon Rare Books Initiative (ORBI)
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Sponsored by the University of Oregon Libraries and the Oregon Rare Books Initiative (ORBI), the Undergraduate Special Collections Internship focuses on providing unique learning and mentoring opportunities for highly motivated students who wish to use the Libraries’ special collections in their research and scholarship. One or two internships will be offered during the 2016-2017 academic year.
Internships may focus on one or more of the following areas:
- Arranging, describing, and/or inventorying a subset of the collection
- Interpreting selected parts of the special collections in a research paper, and sharing this research with others by way of physical exhibits or other dissemination
- Providing original research for online exhibits, social media outlets, and online research guides for library users
- Producing digital reproductions and transcripts
- Assisting patrons, researchers, and students as they search for resources and use the special collections
DETAILS: Internships may run through the fall, winter, and/or spring terms, and require a minimum of 8 hours of work per week to a maximum of 15 hours per week. Paid internships offer an hourly wage ranging between $11 and$13 per hour.
All internships are co-supervised by a special collections librarian and a member of the UO teaching faculty who has expertise in scholarship and research related to the UO Libraries’ special collections. Chosen faculty/student candidates will have a passion for libraries, museums, and archives, and will have a demonstrated research interest in special collections. Student interns agree to write a final report summarizing their internship experiences, along with any final research paper, and to present their works at a spring reception to be hosted by the UO Libraries and ORBI.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Applications are due by Monday, November 21, 2016 at 5 p.m.
SELECTION PROCESS: Internships will be awarded by a selection committee led by Vera Keller, associate professor of history, and comprised of faculty members from ORBI and UO Libraries. Awards will be announced before the end of Fall term.
Questions? Please contact the Libraries’ Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 541-346-1894.