Reproductions and Permissions
Special Collections and University Archives offers scanning only of complete folders. We will scan at a high resolution all items in a folder. Charges are prorated according to the size of the folder. See our page on rates. This process improves our ability to preserve our materials as well as our ability to provide more comprehensive public services. Once the contents of a folder have been scanned, we are able to provide access to the file for subsequent requests without having to scan the materials again. We can also start linking digitized content to folders in our online finding aids. Researchers are welcome to use their own cameras to take reference shots at no charge; see our camera policy. We also have a list of freelance researcher whom remote researchers can hire. Please email here if you are interested in this option.
The University of Oregon Libraries Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) offers scholars, researchers, students, and the general public the opportunity to purchase high-resolution digital copies of materials from its collections. Requests must be secured via our online form for any kind of publication, distribution, or reproduction.
Exceptions include the following allowable uses: The Library invites users to download, print, photocopy, and distribute images from Library websites for personal and classroom use, without prior written permission, provided that the files are not changed, the Library copyright notice (where applicable) is included, and the source image is identified as University of Oregon Libraries Special Collections and University Archives (see the Libraries' preferred citation format below).
The University of Oregon Libraries Special Collections and University Archives, is the owner of the images it offers for purchase. However, in many instances, the Library does not necessarily own copyright of the photograph, manuscript, or underlying object or work of art itself, which may be owned by an separate individual, artist, artist’s estate, or other person or entity. The Library endeavors to provide information that it possesses about the copyright status for such works; however, the Library offers no guarantee that all pertinent information is provided or that the information is correct in each circumstance.
Therefore, it is the sole responsibility of the person seeking permission from the Library to determine whether any additional permission, such as copyright clearance, is necessary and, if so, for obtaining the required permission and related written documentation. The Library is not responsible for any costs, claims, liabilities, or damages incurred as a result of any violation of copyright, trademark, privacy, or publicity rights, or other claims arising from use of its images.
To order a digital copy or request permission for use from SCUA, please read, complete, and submit the online form.
Most orders require reproduction and use fees associated with the request; please review the fee rates before submitting your order. We require the entire contents of an archival folder be scanned. All orders are processed in order of receipt and are reviewed by a curator for permissions approval, who may alter the terms and fees based upon the type of request.
- Permitted Use: Permission is granted for non-exclusive, one-time use only in print and/or electronic publication for one edition, or for a prescribed length of time (unless otherwise specified) only in connection with the project described on the online form.
- Non-Permitted Use: The image may not be used for any subsequent publication, edition or website use without express prior written approval from SCUA. No second-generation photography or downloading or copying of SCUA images from any other source is permitted.
- Copyright and Third Party Rights: This permission extends only to such rights as SCUA may have to authorize reproduction and does not purport to include any rights that persons other than SCUA may have under copyright law of the United States or the laws of other countries in which the requester’s works may be published or distributed. Certain images may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, or publicity rights, or other interests not owned by SCUA. It is requester’s responsibility to determine whether any such third party rights exist, to obtain all necessary permissions to use the image for the purposes set forth herein, and to pay any additional fees, if required, by other rights claimants.
- Liability: Requester agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the University of Oregon and its regents, officers, and employees, from and against any and all liability, including costs and expenses, based on the violation of rights of ownership, infringement of copyright, or invasion of rights of privacy, or laws of libel, resulting from your use of the images.
- Credits: All reproductions of images must include a full credit line (see below) provided by SCUA or available on the UO Libraries website, including any copyright notice if specified by SCUA. Placement of such credit information shall be in the caption associated with the image or in an appropriate place within the publication.
Perferred Citation Format: Idenfication of item, Date (if known), Collection Title, Collection number, Box and Folder number (or photo ID number), Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
- Fees: If fees are assessed, requester must pay all fees in U.S. dollars in accordance with instructions provided by the UO Libraries. Fees are non-refundable.
- Advertising: Any advertising or promotion by requester that uses the digital asset must be approved in advance by SCUA. Requester shall not use, reproduce, or refer to the name or logo of the University of Oregon or any of its units for publicity, advertising, or promotion purposes.
- Donation of Copy: The applicant will donate one copy of the final publication to SCUA no later than two months after the date of publication. Send to: University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives, 1299 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1299.
- Effect of Non-Compliance: Failure to comply with one or more of the conditions stated herein may result in the loss of any permission granted and the denial of future requests for reproductions.
- Reproduction Availability: Reproductions can be made for some photographic, archival, audio-video, manuscript, and book materials with curator’s approval. The University of Oregon Library System reserves the right to withhold permission for reproduction for the protection of fragile, damaged, or restricted items.
- Total Fees. Total fees consist of (a.) reproduction charges; (b.) research fees for staff-conducted searches; (c.) commercial use fees as applicable; (d.) packing and shipping charges as required; (e.) rush fees for delivery in less than the normal processing times. Total fees can be estimated in advance.
- Turnaround Time. Orders are processed in order of receipt. Processing time takes approximately three weeks depending on the current workload, however some orders may be received earlier. There is an additional 50% charge for rush service if the order is needed within 7 working days. The availability of rush services must be confirmed prior to the placement of a rush order.
- Description of Duplication Procedures. Reproductions from original or copy materials will not necessarily be identical to the original or as seen in a publication or on the web. No additional retouching, editing, or post-processing is done to eliminate imperfections existing the original material, unless requested (additional fees will apply).