The UO Libraries has extensive GIS and mapping resources for UO users. This page focuses on resources related to the Portland Metro and Greater Portland area, since these are important to UO users in Portland.
UO Libraries academic workstations are equipped with ArcGIS software to read and analyze datasets. UO students and faculty can also download and install the full ESRI/ArcGIS Suite on their home or office computers. Please visit the SSIL GIS Help page for ArcGIS configuration details, including off-campus use.
General Map Information
- The UO Map Library gives great suggestions for finding maps, GIS, and aerial photographs on this page.
- Circulation policies and procedures can be found here.
- For more information and assistance, please contact the Map Library or the Cartographic and Spatial Data Librarian at (541) 346-3051.
Portland Data Sets
- The City of Portland offers a variety of maps and data sets. The direct link to their page of free, downloadable data sets is here.
- Metro provides maps and data covering Multnomah, Clackamas, and Washington Counties.
- 1:24,000 DEMs, DRGs (scanned 1:24k topo maps), and Digital-Orthophotos
NW portion of the state only!
If you are new to using ArcGIS software, you may wish to use some online tutorials. One good tutorial is provided by the Pennsylvania Geospatial Data Clearinghouse, here. Our own tutorials cover the following topics for ArcGIS 10.1:
The UO MAPS and GIS Library has large collections of paper maps of the Portland area. Not all maps in the collection are cataloged, so it's best to contact the map librarian, Kathy Stroud, to find out if we have what you're looking for. Some (but not all) maps can be sent to Portland for UO users.
- To find Portland-area maps in the catalog: use call numbers or search words.
- Try a subject search for Portland (Or.) -- Maps.
- You can limit your search by choosing "Maps & Atlases" from the drop down menu, instead of "Entire Collection."
- Maps of Oregon can be found in the call number range G4290 to G4299. City maps of Portland generally begin with G4291.P.
- The Building Oregon collection includes photographs of buildings all over the Portland area, which have been added to a Google map mash-up.
- The Aerial Photography Collection at the University of Oregon Library is the largest repository of vertical aerial prints in the state of Oregon. Find out more at the website.