The UO Canvas learning management system is provided and supported by the UO Libraries' Center for Media and Educational Technology.
What's New in Canvas? - Check out new or updated features & tools.
Add a user to your Canvas course - Enroll a GE or course builder!
Course Merge Request - Combine 2 or more Canvas course sections.
Canvas Support - Call, visit, email, or make an appointment!
Canvas Tip 2 - Streamline Your Course Navigation
Hiding or removing sections from students in the Course Navigation menu can help to streamline your course and keep students focused on specific content in your course that is linked through a Page or Module. Learn how to change the Course Navigation menu.
Canvas Tips Archive
- Tip 1 - Start of Term Checklist: a guide for the completion of your Canvas Course site before the start of each term
Canvas Update - January 5, 2019
The Canvas Update on December 8, 2018 brought us the new feature that allows users to reorder Course Cards on the Dashboard in Canvas using the Drag 'n Drop technique to relocated the course cards. The January 5, 2019 update has two changes of note: an updated and user friendly interface in the Course Link Validator Tool and some wording changes on the Course Details page related to Start and End dates. The wording changes to the Course Details page related to Start and End dates is cosmetic only. Documentation regarding the Cousre Link Validator is available here: Course LInk Validator Documentation.
The next Canvas update is scheduled for January 26, 2019.
A merged course is automatically generated for cross-listed courses:
Cross-listed courses automatically have three Canvas course shells created from which you can choose: one for the 4xx course, one for the 5xx course, and one for the 4xx/5xx course. For example, GEOL407/507 has three Canvas course shells automatically created for you: GEOL 407, GEOL 507, and GEOL 407/507. You can use any of these and leave the others unpublished.
If you are teaching more than one session of a course, (e.g. GEOL 102 twice or more in a term) and the merged course is not already created automatically, you can request to merge your Canvas courses.
Please fill out the course merge form for Spring 2019 below, we recommend requesting course merges as early as possible. Please note the deadline below.
- Spring 2019 course merge request form is due before 2:00pm Friday, April 12, 2019.
Please feel free to start working in one of your courses while you wait for the merge, in the form there is an opportunity to let us know which CRN you will be working on so we can save that content during the merge process.
Please check back in late February for details on the "Add People" process.
- Canvas Home - start here to log into the Canvas System
- Canvas Help
- For faculty and teaching GE training in the use of Canvas, please contact UO Libraries CMET in Knight Library Room 19, 541-346-1942, make an appointment, or email us at LMSfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Need help? Need to report a bug? File a problem report using our trouble ticketing system!
- Schedule an office visit; we can come to you, you can visit us or we can provide a virtual appointment (online).
- Canvas FAQ's
- Canvas Student FAQ's
- Canvas Instructor FAQ's
- Instructor Online Workshop - Are you new to Canvas? Check out the Instructor Online Workshop.
The Canvas course management system has been used at the UO since 2015. Many UO courses are using it to provide online course materials. Uses range from providing the syllabus, to course readings, to grade information, to online class discussion and homework submission, to in several cases a fully online class. Prior to Canvas, the UO Libraries provided Blackboard access and support from 1999-2015.