The UO Canvas learning management system is provided and supported by the UO Libraries' Center for Media and Educational Technology.
Using a Content Page for the home page in Canvas now displays announcements, as does the Course Activity Stream. To set this up, go to Settings>More Options (at the bottom of the page) and put a check in the "Show recent announcements on Course home page." The number of announcements shown can be set to 1 up to 15.
Those “Late and Missing Status Labels” that were added this summer to the student view of Grades created a lot of confusion. A “Missing” label would show when an assignment was set for in-class submission and online submission, and the due date passed. This occurred despite the fact the student turned the assignment in during class. Canvas has removed this label from the student view. Students will still see when an online assignment is submitted late.
SpeedGrader has been optimized for performance in large classes!! If you use SpeedGrader in classes with over 50 students and experienced slow load times, it should be much faster.
Instructure has changed the publish/un-publish icons. They are much easier to read! See the example below.
"Add People" Requests - Fall 2017
Please use the Problem Report Form to request people be added to a Canvas course site.
When completing the Problem Report Form, please provide the purpose for adding the person to your course site in the "How can we help you?" section of the form. Select "Yes" in the "Add People" section and provide the following information:
- Role the users should be added as (GTF/GE, course builder, grader, or evaluator (see UO Canvas Roles & Permissions)
- DuckID (UO email) of users to enroll
Please Note: "Add People" requests are generally completed within 24 to 48 business hours. However during week 1 or 2 of a term, requests may take longer to complete due to the volume of requests. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Please fill out the course merge form for the specific term below, we recommend requesting course merges as early as possible. Please note the deadlines below.
- Winter 2018 / Law Spring 2018 course merge request form.
- Winter 2018 merge requests are due before 2:00pm Friday, January 12, 2017.
- Law School - Spring 2018 merge requests are due before 2:00pm Friday, January 19, 2017.
- Please feel free to start working in one of your courses while you wait for the merge, in the form there is an opportunity to let us know which CRN you will be working on so we can save that content during the merge process.
- Canvas Home - start here to log into the Canvas System
- Canvas Help
- For faculty and teaching GE training in the use of Canvas, please contact UO Libraries CMET in Knight Library Room 19, 541-346-1942, make an appointment, or email us at LMSemail@example.com
- Need help? Need to report a bug? File a problem report using our trouble ticketing system!
- Schedule an office visit; we can come to you, you can visit us or we can provide a virtual appointment (online).
- Canvas FAQ's
- Canvas Student FAQ's
- Canvas Instructor FAQ's
- Instructor Online Workshop - Are you new to Canvas? Check out the Instructor Online Workshop.
On April 7, 2017 Educational Technology and Canvas Support hosted a session on Creative and Effective Uses of i>clickers. Our presenter was Mike Urbancic, Instructor & Co-Director of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Economics. Also joining us was Tricia Salata our i>clickers representative.
The focus of the session was to present new and engaging ideas on many creative ways clickers can be used and how they can be used in any size course.
Mike's presentation (.pdf slides) are available for viewing online: Mike Urbancic's i>clicker Presentation
The Canvas course management system has been used at the UO since 2015. Many UO courses are using it to provide online course materials. Uses range from providing the syllabus, to course readings, to grade information, to online class discussion and homework submission, to in several cases a fully online class. Prior to Canvas, the UO Libraries provided Blackboard access and support from 1999-2015.