The Historic Sheet Music Collection
The UO Historic Sheet Music Collection is housed in the Douglass Audio & Video Room and consists of over 27,000 pieces of popular sheet music from the 1840s to the 1960s. This archival collection does not circulate, but may be used for research inside the Knight Library Audio & Video Room by filling out a request form, available at the Audio & Video Room Desk.
Searching the Historic Sheet Music Collection
There are several ways to access the contents of the Historic Sheet Music Collection:
- Use the Online Sheet Music Index to search the vast majority of the collection (approximately 25,000 items). This text-only index allows users to search the collection by song title, composer, lyricist, subject, keyword, and year. It does not include any images, but entries do link to the Digital Sheet Music Collection for those works that have been digitized.
- You can search, browse, view, and download selected pieces of sheet music in the Digital Collection of Historic Sheet Music, which contains approximately 1,000 public domain works from the UO Historic Sheet Music Collection. Special collecting areas highlighted within the Digital Collection include music from/about Oregon, and music by women composers.
- The contents of the entire Historic Sheet Music Collection are searchable through a printed index available at the Audio & Video Room Desk. The index organizes listings by song title, publisher, composer, lyricist, cover art, subject, as well as chronological groupings by decade. This is the only complete index to the collection.
Obtaining Copies of Material in the Historic Sheet Music Collection
In order to preserve the fragile archival material in the Historic Sheet Music Collection, photocopying of pieces from the collection is not permitted. Patrons may request digital images of pieces from the collection if the requested items are in the public domain (published before 1923); the cost for this service is $20 per item, and digitization is performed by the UO Libraries Digital Scholarship Center. To place a request for digitization, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the title, composer, date, and accession number of the piece in your request.
Patrons working with Historic Sheet Music Collection materials in the Audio & Video Room may also request permission to take their own digital pictures of selections from the collection for research use. Consult the Music Librarian or the Audio & Video Room Coordinator for more information.
UO Library Research Tools
- Research Guide to American Popular Songs
- Finding Individual Songs and Lyrics in the UO Music Collection
- Sheet Music Resources: UO Libraries and Beyond (pdf)
- UO Women Composers Scoreography
Other Online Sheet Music Collections