Go to: Treaties and Laws | Congressional Documents | Executive Documents | Maps | Other Resources
- Handbook of North American Indians - Knight Reference E77 .H25
Multiple volumes; includes information by tribe, organized in regional volumes. Overviews, with citations to primary sources
- Treaties with American Indians: An Encyclopedia of Rights, Conflicts, and Sovereignty - LAW Library KF8203.6 .T74 2008
Includes reprints of both US and Canadian primary documents, as well as essays & other secondary sources
- See also:
- ABC-CLIO Companion to the Native American Rights Movement - Knight Reference KF8203.36 .G76 1996
Historical (i.e. not just the 60's-70's) -- gives overviews of significant individuals, commissions, reports, landmark legal cases, etc.
- Cohen's Handbook of Federal Indian Law - this link is to the original 1942 ed., the 1982 ed. is on reserve at Knight: KF8205.C6 1982.
Justice Frankfurter called this classic work the only book that has ever made sense and order from "the vast hodgepodge of treaties, statutes, judicial and administrative rulings, and unrecorded practice in which the intricacies and perplexities, confusions and injustices of the law governing Indians lay concealed."
- Encyclopedia of American Indian History - Knight Reference E77 .E48 2008
See the Resources section at the end for primary sources.
- A Guide to the Indian Tribes of the Pacific Northwest (e-book) Also in: Knight Reference E78 .N77 R79 1992
Includes chronologies of legislative and judicial actions.
Treaties and Laws
- Kappler's Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties, edited by Charles J. Kappler, 1904
Digital version created by the University of Oklahoma. This compilation includes treaties, statutes, executive orders and proclamations, and court decisions. First published in 1903-1904, it has been updated to 1971.
- U.S. Statutes at Large in Hein Online database (UO only) - scroll down "Browse databases by name" menu to U.S. Statutes at Large
Return to top
- Debate in the Annals of Congress (1789 to 1824), Register of Debates (1824-1837), Congressional Globe (1837-73), and the Congressional Record (1873-present.)
In print, or in Hein Online (UO only), under U.S. Congressional documents (see Search Tips), or ProQuest Congressional (UO only.)
- Proceedings in the Journals of House and Senate
In print, or online at the Library of Congress American Memory project
- The Serial Set includes congressional reports
In print, with print index, in Documents Reference Z1223.Z9 C65 1975, or in ProQuest Congressional (UO only)
- Congressional committee hearings can be searched on ProQuest Congressional from 1824 to the present.
- Presidential Papers
- The Serial Set includes reports from the Commissioner of Indian Affairs and the Secretary of War
In print, with print index, in Documents Reference Z1223.Z9 C65 1975, or in ProQuest Congressional See Search Tips
- Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs - also available as separate volumes that can be checked out - Knight E93 .U71
Library has 1852, 1857-1858, 1865-1891, 1895-1896, 1900, 1921-26, 1929-32, 1947
- Some reports of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs contain a separate section of "[Presidential] Executive Orders Relating to Indian Reserves"
Return to top
Return to top
Tips for Searching Hein Online
- Choose "U.S. Congressional Documents" or "U.S. Statutes at Large" from the left column
- Use "Advanced Search" to limit by date
Tips for Searching Hearings in ProQuest Congressional
- You can search hearings for testimony by tribal members by selecting "Witness Affiliation" from the pull-down menu, and typing the name of the tribe as a search term
- You may need to enter alternate spellings for some tribal names, especially when searching early years, e.g.: yakima OR yakama
- Limit by a range of years or by Congress to narrow results
Tips for Searching the Serial Set
- Uncheck all boxes except "Serial Set" or "Serial Set Maps"
- Limit the date ranges
- Useful search terms:
- Indian treaties
- report of commissioner of Indian affairs
- Indian and a place name
- Names of tribes (combine alternate names or spellings with OR)
- Indian affairs
- Avoid "Native American"; not useful in this database (not used historically)
Return to top