Check (out) Your Privilege
Library Stacks Crawl and Facilitated Diversity Discussion
Please join the Library Diversity Committee on November 2, 2016, 2:00-4:00 pm, in the Knight Library Browsing Room, for a “stacks crawl” and panel discussion that will both highlight Library resources that deal with, and encourage discussion about, each of the following five areas of privilege:
- Cis Privilege
- White Privilege
- Male Privilege
- Straight Privilege/Hetereosexism
- Economic Privilege/Classism
2:00 – 2:20 Welcome and Introduction by Dr. Adriene Lim, Dean of Libraries (location: Knight Library Browsing Room)
2:20 – 2:45 Stacks Crawl and Privilege discussion (multiple locations): Attendees will choose a break-out session based on one of the five privileges. Each discussion session will be hosted by a facilitator, who will guide the group, lead the discussion, and provide reading lists to raise awareness of the available resources in a multitude of formats.
3:00 – 4:00 Panel Discussion, facilitated by Dr. Sari Pascoe, Assistant Vice President for Campus and Community Engagement (location: Knight Library Browsing Room)
The goals of the event include:
- Raising awareness of issues related to privilege, and allowing attendees to discuss these issues in a safe, open space.
- Raising awareness of the library collections (specifically as they relate to privilege), and allowing attendees to interact with the collections.
- Open to students, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders on campus and from the community.
- The panel discussion will include light refreshments for attendees.
This event is free and open to the public. Accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided if requested in advance by calling 541-346-3056, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.