- Content Management: Content Management Team Leader
- East Asian Cataloging: East Asian Cataloging Team Leader
- Monographic Cataloging: Monographic Team Leader
- Serials Cataloging: Electronic Resources Team Leader
- Special Collections Cataloging: Special Collections Cataloging Team Leader
The Collection Services catalogers maintain the online public access catalog. We analyze and describe the content of the Libraries' books, journals, videos, music materials, maps, and electronic resources. We create records for these resources by adding the appropriate information to bibliographic records that are then contributed to the UO Libraries’ catalog and the international library database, WorldCat. Staff also utilize WorldCat by selecting records that already exist and using them in the Libraries' catalog. This is known as copy cataloging.
Bibliographic records contain information that allow identification of resources, and allow library users to locate resources. The catalogers at the UO Libraries have been highly trained, and follow the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) guidelines when supplying the information in bibliographic records which include:
- Call Numbers
- Author’s Names
- Publication Information
- Physical Descriptions
- Information Regarding Related Titles
- Descriptive note for unique characteristics
The PCC is an international organization based at the Library of Congress that is dedicated to the expansion of cooperative cataloging and resource sharing worldwide.
Cataloging staff in the department catalog resources in all formats, as well as having specific areas of expertise. These are listed below. If you have questions or need help click the appropriate link below.
- Authority Control: Ensures the quality of the data in the Libraries’ public access catalog by ensuring consistency in the use of name and subject entries.
- Authorities and Special Collections Cataloging Librarian: NACO liaison (Names)
- Monographic Team Leader: SACO liaison (Subjects)
- Content Management: Ensures the quality of the data in the Libraries’ public access catalog by carrying out systematic database clean-up. Enhances library metadata for improved search results. Prepares and loads record sets for ebooks, streaming audio and video, and government documents.
- East Asian Languages: Analyzes and describes materials in East Asian languages with special emphasis in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages.
- Electronic Resources: Analyzes and describes materials that are accessed online from the Libraries' catalog.
- Music: Analyzes and describes scores and sound recordings.
- Serials: Analyzes and describes journals and other publications that recur over time.
- Slavic Languages: Analyzes and describes materials in Cyrillic scripts.
- Western European Languages: Analyzes and describes monographs in English and other Western European languages.
- Monographic Team Leader
- Monograph Cataloger: Government Documents
- Monograph Cataloger: Maps
- Monograph Cataloger: Non-print formats
- Monograph Cataloger: Rare and Special Materials
- Recataloging Specialist
- Copy Catalogers: