The UO Canvas learning management system is provided and supported by the UO Libraries' Center for Media and Educational Technology.
What's New in Canvas? - Check out new or updated features & tools.
Course Merge Request - Combine 2 or more Canvas course sections.
Canvas Support - Call, visit, email, or make an appointment!
Add People is Live!
Good news! The ability to add other users to your course is now available within Canvas. This self-serve process is live as of 9:00am, April 5, 2019. New roles are available within Canvas. For information on how to Add People and the changes to Canvas Roles, please go to Add People.
- Tip 1 - Start of Term Checklist: a guide for the completion of your Canvas Course site before the start of each term
- Tip 2 - Modifying the Canvas Course Navigation Menu: a guide to streamlining navigation in your Canvas course
Canvas Update - May 11, 2019
The May 11, 2019 update to Canvas brings a cosmetic, but very helpful change to Files in Canvas. The Restricted Access files interface has been simplified in pat design and includes individual icons for each permission type. Things still work the same way, and the design was simplified.
The rest of the changes for this Release are bug fixes. Watch for the next Canvas update, coming June 1, 2019.
A merged course is automatically generated for cross-listed courses:
Cross-listed courses automatically have three Canvas course shells created from which you can choose: one for the 4xx course, one for the 5xx course, and one for the 4xx/5xx course. For example, GEOL407/507 has three Canvas course shells automatically created for you: GEOL 407, GEOL 507, and GEOL 407/507. You can use any of these and leave the others unpublished.
If you are teaching more than one session of a course, (e.g. GEOL 102 twice or more in a term) and the merged course is not already created automatically, you can request to merge your Canvas courses.
Please fill out the course merge form for the applicable 2019 term below. We recommend requesting course merges as early as possible, however the merge might not be completed until close to the start of the term. Please note the deadlines below for merges, by term.
- Summer Law 2019 merge request form is due before 2:00pm Friday, May 31, 2019
- Summer 2019 course merge request form is due before 2:00pm Friday, June 28, 2019.
- Fall Law 2019 merge request form is due before 2:00pm Friday, September 6, 2019.
- Fall 2019 course merge request form is due before 2:00pm Friday, October 11, 2019
Please feel free to start working in one of your courses while you wait for the merge, in the form there is an opportunity to let us know which CRN you will be working on so we can save that content during the merge process.
- Canvas Home - start here to log into the Canvas System
- Canvas Help
- For faculty and teaching GE training in the use of Canvas, please contact UO Libraries CMET in Knight Library Room 19, 541-346-1942, make an appointment, or email us at LMSfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Need help? Need to report a bug? File a problem report using our trouble ticketing system!
- Schedule an office visit; we can come to you, you can visit us or we can provide a virtual appointment (online).
- Canvas FAQ's
- Canvas Student FAQ's
- Canvas Instructor FAQ's
- Instructor Online Workshop - Are you new to Canvas? Check out the Instructor Online Workshop.
The Canvas course management system has been used at the UO since 2015. Many UO courses are using it to provide online course materials. Uses range from providing the syllabus, to course readings, to grade information, to online class discussion and homework submission, to in several cases a fully online class. Prior to Canvas, the UO Libraries provided Blackboard access and support from 1999-2015.