THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Outdoor Sculpture & Building Ornamentation

Sundial


Artist: Unknown
Date: ca. 1912
Location: Plaza between Deschutes Hall and Huestis Hall

The Sundial was presented to UO in 1912 in memory of Wilson Pace Mays by his parents. Originally sited near what is now the northeast corner of Johnson Hall, the Sundial was moved in 1962 to the west side of the Erb Memorial Union. When the EMU expanded in the mid-1970s, the Sundial moved to an appropriately sunny location between Huestis Hall and Deschutes Hall. Latin inscriptions praise the creation of the heavens and the lament the passage of time.

Bibliography
  • "Inside the Gates: A Self-Guided Tour of the University of Oregon Campus." Foldout, University of Oregon, [1977?].
  • "Old Sundial Lies Dormant for Years; To Work Again with Aid of Prof." Oregon Daily Emerald. 4 Dec. 1975, 1.