THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Outdoor Sculpture & Building Ornamentation
The construction of Cascade Hall, which opened in 1990, prompted the alteration of the concrete exterior of the 1964 annex to the Infirmary (1936), which was repurposed and renamed Volcanology in 1968. The annex included on its east side a relief called "Scientific Symbols" designed by Spokane artist Harold Balasz. A brick facing with tile adornment, compatible with Cascade's design, was created to frame the relief which includes a variety of symbols, including those associated with religion.
- "Inside the Gates: A Self-Guided Tour of the University of Oregon Campus." Foldout, University of Oregon, [1977?].
- Pincas, Tamara. Eugene's Public Art: A Field Guide. Eugene, OR: City of Eugene Parks & Recreation's Cultural Arts Program, 1985.