THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
John Straub Memorial Hall
1451 Onyx Street
Architect: Lawrence & Holford. Contractors: Hanson & Hammond (Portland); Pacific Iron Works; Fred Shearer & Son (Plasater); Williamson & Co. (Heating, Plumbing); David L. Hoggan (cast stone); Willamina Brick. Lighting fixtures: Frederick Baker; Interior Lunette Paintings: K. E. Hudson.
The new men's dormitory, which could hold 300, replaced Friendly Hall as the main men's housing unit on campus. This was the first building to make use of a legislative act which enabled the Board of Regents to issue bonds for construction. Its design influenced later dorm construction: Work began on this reinforced concrete and steel structure in February 1928 and construction ended in September of that year. The u-shaped building consisted of six practically separate units around a central room. Each segment was intended to be a self-governing social unit. The units were named after professors Barrister, Kane; Greek letters, Alpha, Gamma, Omega, and Sherry Ross, first settler and owner of Ross Island. The original six dining facilities could hold 500.
- 1928. Construction began in February 1928 on a new men's dormitory. Construction ended the following September.
- 1933. The Men's Dorm was named in honor of John Straub, Professor of Greek (1879-1934) and Dean of Men 1920-32.
- 1955. Earl Hall added to the rear (east).
- 1975. Straub was remodeled and became home to the Psychology Department.
- 2002. Addition & Renovation. Architect: L. A. Kersh Architecture, Eugene. Added space for the Lewis Center for Neuroimaging and altered courtyard. The Center was dedicated in October 2002.
- 2014. Campus Expansion Project. Architect: Rowell Brokaw Architects. Associate Architect: Opsis Architecture. Contractor: Fortis Construction. Major renovation of Straub Hall with expansion to create classroom / learning spaces.
- "The Men's Dormitory," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, .
- "Straub (John) Hall," University of Oregon Cultural Resource Survey. Eugene, Or.: University of Oregon, 2006.
- Straub Hall Interiors; Preliminary Historic Assessment. Eugene, Or.: University of Oregon Campus Planning and Real Estate, 2011.
- Straub Hall Remodel and Straub and Earl Hall Classroom Expansion. Rowell / Brokaw Architects. Accessed 15 April 2015.
Newspaper Articles, arranged chronologically:
- "Portland woman wills dormitory for men students," Daily Emerald, 01/08/1927, 1
- "Regents vote to construct men's dorm," Daily Emerald, 01/24/1928, 1
- "More men to live in newly planned dorm," Daily Emerald, 02/02/1928, 1
- "First earth is turned by Dr. Hall, and work on new dorm starts," Daily Emerald, 02/21/1928, 4
- "New men's dorm will cost about $300,000; excavations started," Daily Emerald, 02/24/1928, 6
- "Dean Shirrell explains plans for new dorm," Daily Emerald, 02/28/1928, 1
- "Bids for dormitory to open next Friday," Daily Emerald, 02/29/1928, 4
- "Dorm contract let by Regents," Daily Emerald, 03/06/1928, 3
- "Builders end row with men," Daily Emerald, 03/28/1928, 2
- "Rapid progress made on men's dormitory," Daily Emerald, 04/10/1928, 2
- "$310,000 bid lowest made for new dorm," Daily Emerald, 03/03/1928, 1
- "Roof of new men's hall near completion," Daily Emerald, 05/12/1928, 3
- "Versatile relic still ticks time,"Clock gives time, day and month", Daily Emerald, 07/15/1948, 4
- "Straub [trash] fire squelched," Daily Emerald, 05/17/1955, 1
- "Straub Hall's future in doubt, Senate fights to save dorm", Daily Emerald, 03/06/1970, 2
- "State panel backs new approach in UO building study: Committee recommends UO dorm be made academic building," Register Guard , 1971/10/06 , 12B
- "State groups mull Straub changeover," Daily Emerald, 10/07/1971, 3
- "Dorm conversion delay urged; UO student chief demurs," Register Guard , 1971/10/20 , 7B
- "More protests plan to convert Straub," Daily Emerald, 10/21/1971, 1
- "Board to determine Straub Hall's future," Daily Emerald, 10/25/1971, 3
- "Board votes to convert dorm," Register Guard , 1971/10/25 , 1B
- "Straub Hall to become psychology building," Daily Emerald, 10/26/1971, 1
- "Unfair to students: Straub conversion," Register Guard , 1971/10/31 , 12A
- "Board may consider Straub Hall action," Daily Emerald, 12/09/1971, 3
- "State board to pay UO dorm fund loss," Register Guard , 1971/12/15 , 9F
- "Straub remodeling deferred," Daily Emerald, 09/25/1972, 5
- "Straub Hall, parking on State Board agenda," Daily Emerald, 09/26/1972, 1
- "Straub bids too high; rejected," Daily Emerald, 01/11/1973, 2