THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Astronomical Observatory


Picture Source: Old Oregon 36 no.5 (1955): 2.

History

Architect: Warren H. Williams. Builder: W.H. Abrams. Date: 1889-1905.

Similar in Villard Hall in its detailing, the observatory was built in 1889 atop Skinner Butte by W. H. Abrams who constructed many buildings in Eugene. The Observatory cost the University $4782.78. Subject to vandalism and distant from UO, the building was abandoned by June 1898. On May 12, 1905, the Observatory was demolished. Unversity Day activities included cleaning up the site.

Bibliography

Books and Parts of Books

  • Minutes of the Board of Regents, v. III, pp. 96, 114, 119, 184, 359, 373.
  • Sheldon, Henry D. History of University of Oregon (Binford & Mort, 1940), p. 54-55, 83.

Articles

  • "Observatory Enjoyed a Short Life and Met a Violent End." Old Oregon 36 no. 5 (Apr.-May 1955): 2-4.