THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
MarArbel B. Frohnmayer Music Building
Image: South addition under construction, 1947.
Original Architect: Lawrence & Holford. Contractors: Trancell & Parelius (Portland); Lanning & Hoggan (masonry); Rushlight & Hasdorf, Portland (Heating & Plumbing); Kendall Heating Co., Portland; Ernest Thomas Cast Stone Co.; Kautz Mfr. Col. (millwork).
Books and Parts of Books
- Alexander, Christopher. The Oregon Experiment. Oxford University Press, 1975.
- "Music ," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, .
Articles (arranged by date)
The Oregon Daily Emerald, the Register Guard (Eugene), and other newspapers provide online full-text versions of many articles. Consult the websites of those publications (usually an 'archives' link) to find out more.
- "New music building nears completion," Oregon Daily Emerald, 01/28/1921, 4
- "Work on music hall nears end. New structure dedication will take place during last part of November. Seating capacity 650. Reuter four manual organ valued at $22,500 has echo chamber equipment.," Oregon Daily Emerald, 09/30/1924, 1
- "Music building to have a temporary driveway," Oregon Daily Emerald, 04/01/1924, 1
- "Work on music hall to start," Oregon Daily Emerald, 05/04/1924, 1
- "Concert hall to be finished," Oregon Daily Emerald, 05/17/1924, 3
- "Contracts are let on music auditorium," Oregon Daily Emerald, 05/21/1924, 2
- "Music Auditorium to be dedicated in Nov," Oregon Daily Emerald, 09/30/1924, 1
- "Music auditorium drapes being hung," Oregon Daily Emerald, 02/21/1925, 3
- "Music auditorium formally dedicated," Oregon Daily Emerald, 04/07/1925, 1
- "Building annex up for approval,"library", Oregon Daily Emerald, 01/20/1948, 1
- "Oregon to unveil new buildings; dedication planned for Saturday," Oregon Daily Emerald, 02/08/1950, 1
"Plant undertakes campus projects, constructing new band practive room and improving baseball field", Oregon Daily Emerald, 10/05/1955, 7
- "Music school slated for remodeling program," Oregon Daily Emerald, 10/18/1972, 5
"Music School auditorium is renamed Beall," Oregon Daily Emerald, 10/01/1974, 2
"Music Building remodel advanced in priority," Oregon Daily Emerald, 05/23/1975, 3
"Music fix-up nearer," Oregon Daily Emerald, 05/28/1975, 3
"Solar rays to shine on music school addition with federal aid," Oregon Daily Emerald, 02/25/1976, 8
"'Chicken coop' nearing face-lift," Oregon Daily Emerald, 09/30/1976, 10A
- 2000 and later
- "The Man behind the Money; Lorry Lokey Has Given $47 million to UO, more than anyone else in school history." Oregon Daily Emerald 9 Feb. 2007: 1.
- Palmer, Susan. "Two UO Programs Recieve Donations; The 6.5 Million Gift Will Help Fund New Music Building and a Journalism School." Register Guard 12 July 2005: 1, A6.
- Wilbur, Nicholas. "University Sings Praises to Dnors; A Ceremony Was Held Monday to Honor the Generous Donors Who Will Help Make the MarAbel B. Frohnmayer Music School Possible." Oregon Daily Emerald 12 July 2005: 1, 3.