THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Wilmsen, Endicott & Unthank. Constractor: Todd Building Co.
Sculptures by Steve Gillman and Lin Cook enrich this building.
See the architect's model of this building
- 1968. Groundbreaking took place November 20, 1968, for the new Law Center, built on the site of 'Carson's Lake'.
- 1970. Finished in October 1970, the geometric forms of the Law Center, reflected its interior functions, and the ochre coloring alluded to the former home of the school, Fenton Hall. The building was officially dedicated on September 25, 1971. Architects H. Robert Wilmsen, Charles W. Endicott, and DeNorval Unthank were graduates of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts.
- 1999. The building was renamed Grayson Hall in 1999 and underwent renovations that were completed in 2000.
- 2000. Renovations. Architect: SRG Partnership. Construction: Wildish. Planner: Fred Tepfer. Project Manager: Janet Lobue. Landscape: Cameron McCarthy Gilbert & Scheibe.
- 2002. Grayson Hall was renamed McKenzie Hall.
- University of Oregon School of Law; Law Center Dedication, September 25, 1971. [Bound Scrapbook]. University of Oregon Special Collections.
Books and Parts of Books
- "Law Center," in Style and Vernacular; A Guide to the Architecture of Lane County, Oregon (Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society, 1983): 46. ill.
Architect's Model. Photo: UO Libraries Special Collections
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters
- " New Legal Center Opens." UO School of Law Newsletter. 4 no.1 (Nov. 1970): 1, ill.
- " State Bar President 'Enfeoffs' Law School Officials." UO School of Law Newsletter. 2 no.1 (Jan. 1969): 1, ill.
About groundbreaking ceremony.
Oregon Daily Emerald
- "Law School to Go at 11th and Kincaid." Oregon Daily Emerald 21 Nov. 1966: 1.
- "Sites Chosen for Law, AAA." Oregon Daily Emerald 11 Jan. 1967: 1.
- "At State Board Meeting: Law Center Approved." Oregon Daily Emerald 24 Jan. 1967: 1.
- "Caw, Science Complex Plans Gain Approval." Oregon Daily Emerald 31 Mar. 1967: 3.
- "Ground Breaking Ceremony Starts New Law Center." Oregon Daily Emerald 21 Nov. 1968: 1.
- "Douglas (US Supreme Court Justice) Speaks at Dedication." Oregon Daily Emerald 27 Aug. 1972: 1.
- "Douglas Speaks at Dedication." Oregon Daily Emerald 27 Sept. 1971: 1.
- "Law Building Diagnosed as Unbalanced." Oregon Daily Emerald 7 Nov. 1973: 3.