THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
This model (1980s) shows the south facade of the Art and Architecture Building which was destroyed in 1957 and replaced with a new structure. The red-roofed structure in the uppler left (Mechanical Hall, 1901) is still visible today as is much of the north facade.
The building now known as Lawrence Hall consists of different structures combined and altered over time. See also Power Plant (1924).
- Mechanical Hall. Architect: Edgar Lazarus.
Part of this building, where engineering courses were taught, also housed UO's heating plant. Sometimes refered to as Commerce, Sociology, or Engineering Building as it housed those programs before its use became dedicated to architecture.
- Architecture Building. Architect: William C. Knighton
This building was constructed to the east of the 1901 Mechanical Hall and was designed to be similar in appearance to that building. It was larger and lacked Mechanical Hall's cupola. Knighton connected the two structures with a one-story addition.
- Architecture Building Expansion and Renovation. Architect: Ellis F. Lawrence
Ellis Lawrence consulted with W. R. B. Willcox, the new head of the architecture program (from 1922), about the renovation and enhancement of the existing structures to house the growing School of Architecture and Alllied Arts.
- Courtyard additions, including bay window and ambulatory;
- Addition of 2nd floor over north wing that connected the 1901 and 1914 structures. This floor provided library space and more drafting areas.
- Removal of cupola on the 1901 structure (Mechanical Hall) and application of stucco to the entire ensemble, to give a uniform, Mediterranean-style appearance.
- Arts Wing. Architect: Ellis F. Lawrence. Construction ended in June 1923 on this wing (to the south) of the Architecture building which housed art studios and a gallery. The wing formed a courtyard with the existing structures. Decorative detailing, mostly by students, enriched the structure which was destroyed in 1955. As stated in the Ellis Lawrence Survey, "This is the only major UO campus building by Lawrence which no longer exists; decorative art works were destroyed except for fragments of south wall tile panels."
- Pictures. In the late 1980s, students of Michael Shellenbarger created a model of the Art and Architecture Building. This model is in the lobby of Lawrence Hall.
Some pictures of the model: North facade, 1; East facade, 1, 2, 3; South facade: 1, 2, 3; West facade, 1; Courtyard, 1, 2, 3.
- Two wings were added to the north which extended the west facade and added studio space.
- Addition. Architect: Annand, Boone, and Lei. This structure replaced the Arts Wing (south structures) of the Architecture and Allied Arts Building with a modernistic structure featuring metallic siding. The building was renamed Lawrence Hall in honor of the legendary dean and campus architect and planner. The building was dedicated in April 1958.
Like some parts of the contemporary Law Center (McKenzie Hall), the towering 1970s addition to Lawrence Hall featured the exposed concrete formwork of the 'Brutalist' style. The addition provided well-lit studio space and reinforced connections with other buildings that now make up the Lawrence Hall amalgamation: the 1924 Power Plant, the Lazarus (1901) and Knighton (1914) designs, the Ellis Lawrence 1920s renovations, and the 1950s south addition by Annand, Kennedy, and Lei. In th 1990s, the firm Yost, Grube, Hall would design the third Law Center on campus.
- Addition. Architect: BOORA.
The 1991 addition to Lawrence Hall, which features the impressive Architecture & Allied Arts Library, substantially changed the building's south façade. The library's reading room is named for Marion Dean Ross, architectural historian and first chair of the Art History department, who died in 1991 and left a large bequest to acquire architectural books.
Books & Parts of Books
- "Architecture Building," "Arts Wing," and "Power Plant," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, .
- Sheldon, Henry D. History of University of Oregon (Binford & Mort, 1940), 120 (references the heating plant).
- "Architecture and Allied Arts New Home to be More, Colorful and Spacious." Old Oregon 36 no.18 (Nov.-Dec. 1955): 2-3 [artis's sketch of new south wing].
- "School of Art and Architecture New Wing [Illustration]. [Sketch]. Old Oregon 36 no.6 (July-Aug. 1955): 13, drawing.
- New architecture building nearing completion," Daily Emerald, 09/24/1914, 3
- University afflicted with many architectural want, Annexing to existing buildings rather than constructing new ones in vogue at Oregon," Daily Emerald, 12/02/1919, 1
- Garden planted in art building court," Daily Emerald, 01/16/1924, 4
- Art building to have garden on South side," Daily Emerald, 01/18/1924, 4
- Early blossoms adorn courtyard of art building," Daily Emerald, 02/08/1924, 1
- Arts building to have tile floor designed," Daily Emerald, 04/19/1924, 3
- White cupola removed from sociology building," Daily Emerald, 04/26/1924, 3
- Sociology building gets coat of stucco," Daily Emerald, 05/01/1924, 1
- Art gallery façade has new tile panel made in art classes," Daily Emerald, 02/10/1928, 3
- Grading of fine arts grounds is progressing rapidly," Daily Emerald, 05/06/1931, 1
- Beauty added to art building by students' efforts, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 10/14/1933, 1
- Art buildings get face-lifting during summer, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 09/23/1949, 6
- Plans for brighter future drawn up by architects, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 10/13/1954, 1, il.
- Legislature approves new building of art school, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 05/25/1955, 1
- State Board approves art building funds, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 07/20/1955, 2
- Preliminary plans approved for architechture building, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 10/05/1955, 1
- "New architechture, allied arts building to be constructed within two years," Allied Arts (sketch)," Daily Emerald, 11/03/1955, 1
- Architecture school contracts awarded, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 05/01/1956, 1
- New architecture building construction
, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 05/22/1956, 1, il.
- Newest building exterior varied, Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 05/21/1957, 1
- "Dorm, Lawrence Hall open," Daily Emerald, 09/06/1957, II: 5
- "'Farsnow' urges revolt for AA profs, students," Allied Arts," Daily Emerald, 10/01/1957, 1
- Lawrence Hall-then and now. Art-architecture history related from start in 1914," Daily Emerald, 04/09/1958, 5, il.
- "Recently redecorated AA provides efficiency, style," Daily Emerald, 04/09/1958, 4, il.
- Lawrence Hall sets dedication events," Daily Emerald, 04/11/1958, 1
- The new Lawrence fountain: a criticism, by Ulysses Cheng," Daily Emerald, 02/11/1964, 5, il.
- Art students adorn fountain," Daily Emerald, 11/01/1966, 3
- Art students adorn fountain," Daily Emerald, 11/01/1966, 3
- Lawrence Hall additions imminent: planning committee apprpves project," Daily Emerald, 01/06/1967, 1
- New buildings house art studio," Daily Emerald, 02/20/1969, 6
- Wilkinson returns to retouch mural," Daily Emerald, 04/11/1973, 1
- "Asbestos Removal Delays Building; Lawrence Hall Additions on Hold," Oregon Daily Emerald, 19 June 1989: 16.
- "Tree Topples on Lawrence Hall Damaging Roof Exterior Wall," Oregon Daily Emerald 30 Jan. 1990: cover.