William W. Knight Law Center

Architect: Yost Grube Hall


The new law center was named for 1932 UO graduate and father of Philip Knight, a founder of Nike and UO benefactor. This building replaced what is now known as McKenzie Hall as the home of the law school and library. The law school was first housed in Fenton Hall.
From the architectural firm's website:

"The Law Center was designed to foster a strong sense of community among all the building's users, through interaction, informal meeting spaces and visibility. The 138,000 sf building is organized along a curving interior street, reaching up four levels to the clerestory windows and skylights, and connecting the classrooms, library and common areas. The Great Hall and adjacent courtyard are the heart of the school, and central to the primary goal of bringing people together and increasing dialogue. Named "The Most Wired Law School in America" by a national legal organization, the building's infrastructure incorporates the latest in digital technology."



Architectural firm: Yost Grube Hall.

Books & Parts of Books

Schematic Design Report [William W. Knight Law Center]. (Yost Grube Hall Architecture, 1996).


Tom Wheeler ; Jane Gordon. Interviewed by Maureen Shine. Eugene, OR: Oregon Humanities Center in association with the Knight Library IMC-ITV, University of Oregon, [1997]. Jane Gordon, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, School of Law, discusses the new Knight Law Center and the ways in which the design and technology will benefit both students and the general public.