THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Howe Field (Herbert Crombie Howe Field)
The University of Oregon baseball diamond was created in 1935 at a site south of MacArthur Court. In 1936 it was officially named the Herbert Crombie Howe Field, a professor of English, chair of the faculty athletic committee, and strong advocate of athletic activities. Integral to the site is a memorial gate and fence created in honor of WWI soldiers.
"It's Howe Field Now," Old Oregon, April 1936, p. 7.
Hansen, Chris, "UO's new softball field to be built on Howe site. Construction of Jane Sanders Stadium is scheduled to begin as soon as the Ducks' 2015 season ends." Register-Guard, November 20, 2014.
Dietz, Diane. "Historic memorial gates at UO may be dismantled for new softball stadium." Register Guard, Feb. 2, 2015.
Page author: Ed Teague. Updated: Feb. 2, 2015.