THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Thomas Hacker Associates, Inc. Construction: Lease Crutcher Lewis. Project Planner (UO): Fred Tepfer.
The 65,000 square foot HEDCO Education Building was part of a larger project to renovate and expand the College of Education complex. The building opened in Spring 2009 with a grand opening taking place on June 11, 2009. The HEDCO building is named for a foundation whose president, Dody Jernstedt, graduated from UO's College of Education.
- 2004: Gift of $10 million pledge by HEDCO Foundation launched fund-raising initiative to build and expand College of Education facilities at its current site.
- 2005: Bonds approved by Oregon legislature provides matching funds to support construction.
- 2006: Thomas Hacker Architects was selected to design new facilities. A gift from Lorry Lokey provides further financial support for College of Education buildings.
- 2007: Official groundbreaking ceremony takes place October 26, 2007, construction begins.
- 2009: In March 2009, occupation of the new building begins. Grand opening takes place on June 11, 2009.