Hamilton Complex

Hamilton Hall

Architect: Church, Newberry, Roehr, Schuette.

Date: 1961

Location: 1365 Agate St.  Google map location


The east wing of Hamilton Hall (also called Hamilton Complex and Hamilton Hall Complex) was constructed in 1960; the west wing, 1961. The complex was named Hamilton Hall in 1962 for Judge James W. Hamilton, member of the Board of Regents and BOR president (1913-25). The Hamilton Hall Complex East consists of 113,035 square feet; Hamilton Hall Complex West consists of 111,530 square feet. The four-story radiating building plan consists of 10 housing units (winglets) named for former faculty:

East Hamilton Hall

Burgess Hall. Named for Julia Burgess, English and American literature professor, 19007-1942

Collier Hall. Named for George Collier, first professor of physics, 1879-1895

Unthank Hall. Formerly named for Frederick S. Dunn, professor of Latin, 1898-1937.  Renamed Cedar Hall temporarily on September 9, 2016. Renamed Unthank Hall in July 2017 for architect DeNorval Unthank, Jr., first African-American graduate of the University of Oregon.

Robbins Hall. Named for Edwin C. Robbins, Economics professor, 1915-1919, School of Business Administration dean, 1920-1945

Spiller Hall. Named for Mary Spiller, first woman on the UO faculty, head of preparatory department, 1876-1888.  Original dormitory named for Spiller, attached to Hendricks Hall, was razed in 1951.

West Hamilton Hall

Watson Hall. Named for Mary Watson, English literature professor, 1909-1930

Boynton Hall. Named for William Pingry Boynton, professor of physics and head of Physics Department, 1906-1932

Cloran Hall. Named for Timothy P. Cloran, Romance Languages professor and head of department, 1906-1935

McClain Hall. Named for Marion F. McClain, University Cooperative Store, 1916-1948

Tingle Hall. Named for Lilian Ella Tingle, Household Arts professor and head of department, 1917-1933


"Trustees accept president’s proposal, dename Dunn Hall," Around the O, September 9, 2016.

[Denaming Deady and Dunn halls].  UO President's page.  2016.

Hamilton Hall Historic Resource Survey Form, University of Oregon, 2006.

Hamilton Hall Residence Hall Tour. University of Oregon, 2016.  YouTube. 4:02 minutes.

"Names Approved for New Dormitory," Eugene Register-Guard Mar. 12, 1962, 11A. (Google News Archive)


Page author: Edward H. Teague.