THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Earle A. Chiles Business Center


Chiles Center under construction, 1986. Photo: Marion Dean Ross. Source: Building Oregon / Oregon Digital.

Location: 13th Avenue.
Architect: Amundsen Associates (John M. Amundsen, Jr., principal).
Date: 1986

Part of the Lillis Business Complex.

DESCRIPTION

The Chiles Business Center was dedicated on November 14, 1986. It was funded with the support of Earle M. Chiles (b. 1933- d. 2016)  and is the first donor-initiated building on the UO campus.  The building is named in memory of his father, Earle A. Chiles (b. 1904 - d. 1982). The senior Chiles, a 1927 graduate of UO, was a stepson of Fred Meyer, and was president of Fred Meyer, Inc. He established the Chiles Foundation, known for its support of education and research.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • "Breaking Ground," Old Oregon 65 no.3 (March 1986): 8-10 ill.

Other Resources