THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Map, Carson's Lake, by Christine Thompson
A pond was constructed in 1906 in the area now occupied by McKenzie Hall. The pond was the site of tugs-of-war and other water games fought among the student classes. It was named somewhat derisively after Louella Carson, dean of women, who was ever vigilant about proper conduct. Over time, the site gathered unwanted drainage from neighboring areas and became a haven for mosquitoes. It was filled with dirt from excavations for the the new Administration Building (Johnson Hall) in 1914-15.