THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Bean Complex (Bean West Hall, Bean East Hall)
Architect: Wilmsen, Endicott, and Unthank. Builder/contractor: Paul B. Emerick Construction
Location: 1416 Columbia Street, 1601 East 15th Avenue. East section: 1695 East 15th Avenue, 1410 Moss Street. Google map location
Photo: Oregon Digital.
This three-story structure, at 15th and Moss, was named for Robert Sharp Bean, a UO graduate who was Oregon Supreme Court Chief Justice (1882-90). The building is comprised of two squares with courtyards, Bean West (1695 E. 15th Ave., 70,651 sf) and Bean East (1741 E. 15th Ave., 90,924 sf).
The units within the complex are named for former faculty:
- Elon H. Moore, Sociology professor, 1934-1953
- Philip A. Parsons, Sociology professor, 1920-1943 and department head, 1928-1943
- Richard H. Thornton, Law School dean, 1885-1920
- Walter R. B. Willcox, architecture professor, 1922-1945
- Albert E. Caswell, Physics department head, 1913-1932, 1923-1949
- Burchard W. DeBusk, Education professor, 1915-1936
- John T. Ganoe, history professor, 1930-1949
- Louise F. Henderson, Botany professor and Herbarium curator, 1924-1939
Bean Hall Historic Resource Survey, University of Oregon, 2006
Bean Residence Hall Video Tour. University of Oregon, 2016. YouTube. 5:46 minutes.
Carey, Erin. "Bean West Hall Construction Works to Eliminate Lead Pipe Problem." Daily Emerald, Nov. 5, 2017. Web.
"Names Approved for New Dormitory." Eugene Register-Guard, Mar. 12, 1962, 11A. Google News Archive
Page author: Edward H. Teague.