THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
(Dr. A. W. Patterson House)
751 E. 11th Avenue
The home of Dr. A. W. Patterson, built in 1903, was one of the locations in Eugene, Oregon, used for the movie Animal House. The house was not a University of Oregon property, but it is indelibly associated with the school's history and culture because of the popularity of the film. The house was demolished in 1986; the photo dates from 1985.
A plaque at the property reads:
SITE OF THE HOME OF A.W. AND AMANDA PATTERSON. HE WAS A PIONEER LANE COUNTY DOCTOR AND SURVEYER WHO PLATTED A GREATER PART OF EUGENE. IN 1853, PATTERSON WAS ALSO A MEMBER OF THE OREGON LEGISLATURE AND WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN ESTABLISHING THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON. AMANDA PATTERSON CAME ACROSS THE GREAT PLAINS IN THE FIRST WAGON TRAIN OF 1843. THEIR DAUGHTER, IDA, WAS A EUGENE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL. IN THE 1950S AND 1960S THE HOUSE WAS USED BY A FRATERNITY AND POPULARIZED IN THE LATE 1970S BY THE FILM "ANIMAL HOUSE".
Page author: Edward H. Teague