Allen Hall

Allen Hall 1961

Allen Hall (photo: Marion Dean Ross, 1961)


  • Journalism Building (1923). Architect: Lawrence and Holford. Contractors: Thomas Muir (General), Rushlight and Hastorf (Plumbing), Yundt and Keyser (heating), E. L. Knight (wiring).
  • Allen Hall (1954). Architect: Church, Newberry and Roehr.
  • Renovations (2000). Architect: Boucher Mouchka Larson Architects. Landscape Architect: Cameron McCarthy Gilbert. Planner: Chris Ramey. Manager: Alex Gordon.
    Renovations of the 1920s Allen Hall, begun in the 1990s, included interior work as well as a new entrance plaza.
  • Renovations (2010-2012). Architect: TBG Architects + Planners; YGH Architecture. General contractor: Lease Crutcher Lewis.


Allen Hall consists of three parts shaped into a cohesive whole: the original Journalism Building (1923), a 1954 addition, and a 2012 addition and renovation.


  • 1893. UO curriculum in Journalism begins.
  • 1912. Department of Journalism, one of nation's first, is created.
  • 1922. Design work takes place in August for the Journalism Building. The journalism program had been housed in the Old Gym and Annex which burned in July 1922. Construction begins in October.
  • 1923. Construction ends in September.
  • 1936. A stone bas relief by Louis G. Utter is placed over the south entrance.
  • 1953. McClure Hall is demolished to make way for a new journalism building. The McClure Annex (called the Journalism Building) remains.
  • 1954. The new Allen Hall opens. Substantial renovations to the existing Journalism Building took place during construction. Vestiges of a balcony over the east entrance can still be seen.
  • 1990s to the present. Several phases of renovation rework the interior and grounds of Allen Hall.
  • 1999. UO's leasing of the Baker Downtwon Center freed more space when University Printing left Allen Hall.
  • 2012. Construction is completed on Allen Hall renovation and expansion.
  • 2013. Renovated and expanded Allen Hall opens for winter term 2013. Grand opening, March 1, 2013.



Books & Parts of Books

  • "Journalism Building," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, [1989].

Journal Articles

  • Blom, Janet. "Goodbye McClure," Old Oregon Oct-Nov 1953: 4-6.
  • "New Journalism Building Is Dedicated. Old Oregon 5 no. 7 (April 1923): 20.

Newspaper Articles


  • "New journalism home dedicated by state editors," Daily Emerald, 03/24/1923, 1
  • "Feathered sisitor feeds ner journalism shack," Daily Emerald, 02/26/1924, 1
  • Daily Record-Abstract (Portland) 7/24/22: 1; 9/6/22: 1; 9/22/22: 1; 9/29/22; 1.
  • Pacific Builder & Engineer 7/28/22: 23; 9/8/22: 8; 9/15/27, 8; 9/29/22: 21.


  • "Plaque to grace shack entrance, Newspaper influence in public opinion depicted", Daily Emerald, 02/15/1936, 1


  • "School of journalism expands; Extension building yields rooms, Improvements in Amazon housing project", Daily Emerald, 07/15/1948, 1


  • "Remodelling program, new J school need approval of Oregon legislature," Daily Emerald, 04/16/1951, 1
  • "Necessity, not extravagence," Daily Emerald, 04/17/1951, 2
  • "Legislature sleeps on proposals," Daily Emerald, 04/18/1951, 1
  • "New building for J School ok'd by State board of education," Daily Emerald, 04/23/1952, 1
  • "Eric W. Alien Hall. New J-building to be named for late Dean," Daily Emerald, 04/02/1953, 3
  • "Committee approves building program; new J school closer, (Legislative)", Daily Emerald, 04/16/1953, 1
  • "New building for J school assured by State Senate bill," Daily Emerald, 04/21/1953, 1
  • "Journalism school has new quarters," Daily Emerald, 07/01/1953, 3
  • "Journalism school to be named after the late dean," Daily Emerald, 11/21/1953, 1:6
  • "J-school to open in fall," Daily Emerald, 04/24/1954, 3, il.
  • "Dedication plans made as Alien Hall nears completion,", Daily Emerald, 05/28/1954, 1
  • "New Allen Hall to open for class," Daily Emerald, 09/21/1954, 1
  • "Luncheon marks J-school opening," Daily Emerald, 10/06/1954, 1
  • "Alien colophons," Daily Emerald, 10/08/1954, 1:4
  • "Examining antique hand press," Daily Emerald, 10/08/1954, 1:2, il.
  • "Formal opening- Eric W. Alien Hall," Daily Emerald, 10/08/1954, sec 1, il.
  • "Friendly gathering place, Allen seminar room", Daily Emerald, 10/08/1954, 1:3, il.
  • "J-school opening attracts crowd," Daily Emerald, 10/11/1954, 1
  • "Elmer Davis to visit UO, (as part of dedication)", Daily Emerald, 10/12/1954, 1
  • "Noted editor to talk here, Max Ascoli", Daily Emerald, 04/25/1955, 8
  • "Allen lecturer to speak as dedication feature," Daily Emerald, 04/26/1955, 1
  • "'The Reporter' editor speaks to journalists, Ascoli", Daily Emerald, 04/27/1955, 1

2005 to present

  • The full-text archives of the Oregon Daily Emerald are available from September 2005 in Oregon Digital.

Page author: Edward H. Teague