THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect (renovation): 2fORM Architecture. Renovation of Willamette Stationers (A. B. Scarlett) building, 510 Oak Street. Original architect not yet identified.
The A. B. Scarlett Commercial Truck building opened in 1941. Archie Buell “A.B.” Scarlett was born in January 1894 in Shoshone County, Idaho, and came to Eugene in 1925. Scarlett was an agent for GMC trucks and died of pneumonia in 1939 before the new building for the dealership was available. The open house for the building was on May 24, 1941. The Scarlett building became Scherer Motor Co. from about 1951-1958, and later became the home of Willamette Stationers. In 2017, UO purchased the Willamette Stationers building for $1.84 million with the aim of investing $5 million to renovate the 14,000 sf structure to house a gallery space and 24 studios.
"A. B. Scarlet [obituary]." Register-Guard, February 13, 1939. "Scarlett's plan open house at new truck home." Register Guard, May 23, 1941. Newspapers.com.
Klinger, Tobin J, "New facilities show UO's dedication to arts and humanities." Around the O, July 18, 2017. Web.
Cipolle, Alex Notman, "New downtown art building is ready for the spotlight." Around the O, November 29, 2018. Web.
Page author: Edward H. Teague