Image and Permission Requests
Image and Permissions Requests
The University of Oregon Libraries Special Collections and University Archives (UOSCUA) offers scholars, researchers, students, and the general public the opportunity to purchase high-resolution digital images of materials from our vast collections. Requests must be secured in writing (see detailed instructions below) from the department for any kind of publication or distribution. Exceptions are described below in "Allowable Uses."
The University of Oregon Libraries Special Collections and University Archives, is the owner of the images it offers for purchase. However, in many instances, the Library does not necessarily own copyright of the photograph, manuscript, or underlying object or work of art itself, which may be owned by an separate individual, artist, artist’s estate, or other person or entity. The Library endeavors to provide information that it possesses about the copyright status for such works; however, the Library offers no guarantee that all pertinent information is provided or that the information is correct in each circumstance.
Therefore, it is the sole responsibility of the person seeking permission from the Library to determine whether any additional permission, such as copyright clearance, is necessary and, if so, for obtaining the required permission and related written documentation. The Library is not responsible for any costs, claims, liabilities, or damages incurred as a result of any violation of copyright, trademark, privacy, or publicity rights, or other claims arising from use of its images.
The Library invites users to download, print, photocopy, and distribute the images on its website for personal or classroom use, without prior written permission, provided that the files are not changed, the Library copyright notice (where applicable) is included, and the source of the image is identified as the University of Oregon Libraries Special Collections and University Archives (see the Libraries’ preferred citation format below). All other uses, except those that may be permitted by law, shall require prior written permission from the UO Libraries Special Collections and University Archives.
To order a digital image and permissions request for use from UOSCUA, please read, complete, and sign the Image and Permissions Request form, and then submit via mail or email (email@example.com). The request form can be saved and emailed directly from the PDF form. WARNING: If using Firefox and you get the warning in the upper left-hand corner stating "This PDF may not be displayed correctly," please then click on the link in the right-hand corner that states "Open with a different viewer" and then select Adobe Reader from the dialog box. Or use Internet Explorer, not Firefox, to open and complete the form.
Most orders require scanning and use fees associated with the request; please review the fee rates before submitting your order. All fees will be separately invoiced directly to the requestor for payment to UO Libraries. All orders are processed in order of receipt and are reviewed by a Curator for permissions approval, who may alter the terms and fees based upon the type of request.
- Permitted Use: Permission is granted for non-exclusive, one-time use only in print and/or electronic publication, for one edition, or for a prescribed length of time (unless otherwise specified below) only in connection with the project described on the attached Permission Form or other written request form. The image may not be used for any subsequent publication, edition or website use without express prior written approval from UOSCUA. Only images supplied by UOSCUA may be used for reproduction. No second-generation photography or downloading or copying of UOSCUA images from any other source is permitted.
- Non-Permitted Use: Requester may not crop, alter, manipulate, superimpose, enhance, or otherwise change the image in any manner without obtaining the prior written permission of UOSCUA.
- Copyright and Third Party Rights: This permission extends only to such rights as UOSCUA may have to authorize reproduction and does not purport to include any rights that persons other than UOSCUA may have under copyright law of the United States or the laws of other countries in which the requester’s works may be published or distributed. Certain images may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, or publicity rights, or other interests not owned by UOSCUA. It is requester’s responsibility to determine whether any such third party rights exist, to obtain all necessary permissions to use the image for the purposes set forth herein, and to pay any additional fees, if required, by other rights claimants.
- Liability: Requester agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the University of Oregon and its regents, officers, and employees, from and against any and all liability, including costs and expenses, based on the violation of rights of ownership, infringement of copyright, or invasion of rights of privacy, or laws of libel, resulting from your use of the images.
- Credits: All reproductions of images must include a full credit line (see below) provided by UOSCUA or available on the UO Libraries website, including any copyright notice if specified by UOSCUA. Placement of such credit information shall be in the caption associated with the image or in an appropriate place within the publication or on the website, for electronic publications.
- Fees: If fees are assessed, requester must pay all fees in U.S. dollars in accordance with instructions provided by the UO Libraries. Fees are non-refundable.
- Advertising: Any advertising or promotion by requester that uses the digital asset must be approved in advance by UOSCUA. Requester shall not use, reproduce, or refer to the name or logo of the University of Oregon or any of its units for publicity, advertising, or promotion purposes.
- Donation of Copy: The applicant will donate one copy of the final publication to UOSCUA no later than two months after the date of publication. Send to: University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives, 1299 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1299.
- Effect of Non-Compliance: Failure to comply with one or more of the conditions stated herein may result in the loss of any permission granted and the denial of future requests for reproductions.
Preferred Citation Format
Identification of item, Date (if known), Collection Title, Collection Number, Box and Folder number [or photo ID number], Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
- Reproduction Availability: Photographic reproductions can be made for some photographic, archival, manuscript, and book materials with curator’s approval. The University of Oregon Library System reserves the right to withhold permission for photoreproduction for the protection of fragile, damaged, or restricted items.
- Total Fees. Total fees consist of (a.) laboratory charges for producing new prints; (b.) research fees for staff-conducted searches; (c.) commercial use fees as applicable; (d.) packing and shipping charges as required; (e.) rush fees for delivery in less than the normal processing times. Total fees can be estimated in advance. Large orders will be charged in advance with a 50% non-refundable deposit.
- Turnaround Time. Photographic orders may be made in person, by phone, or by email. Orders are processed in order of receipt. Processing time takes approximately two weeks depending on the current workload, however some orders may be received earlier. There is an additional 50% charge for rush service if the order is needed within 7 working days and does not correspond to monthly processing dates. The availability of rush services must be confirmed prior to the placement of a rush order.
- Description of Printing Procedures. Prints from original or copy negatives will not necessarily be identical in format or tonal values to a print on file in the Library or seen in a publication or on the web. No evidence of the photographer’s printing style may be available. We compensate for visual defects through dodging, burning and filtration techniques. No additional retouching is done to eliminate imperfections existing in the negative or the original material. Sizes referred to in the pricing schedule reflect the size of the enlarging paper and not the dimensions of the reproduced image. The complete image will be printed unless cropping is requested.