University Archives Transmittal Instructions
Instructions for Transferring Records to UO Archives
The University Archives works to retain and preserve University records that have permanent historical or evidential value. The Archives does not store records that are scheduled for destruction. The Records Management Program handles those non-permanent records that must be kept for a specified period of time and then discarded. The UO Records Retention Schedules determines which records are retained permanently and which records are kept for a limited time.
Helpful Resources for this page:
Step 1: Identify Records
- Review the UofO Records Retention Schedule or the OUS Records Retention Schedule to identify the records series that are to be sent to Archives.
Step 2: Prepare Boxes
- Use standard records storage boxes (W=12" x L=15"x H=10") with lids and handles. If you have odd size items or records that do not fill an entire box, please contact University Archives.
- No hanging folders. Remove files from hanging folders before boxing. Please do not include materials in binders. Please create file folders with binder title if necessary. Use multiple folders if the binders are large.
- Please keep files in their original order when placing them in boxes Finding files "original order" is very important to researchers.
- Do not overfill boxes. Overstuffed boxes pose a safety hazard and can damage the records.
- Loose pamphlets and other items should be placed in folders before being put in boxes.
Step 3: Describe Box Contents
- Create an inventory list for each box. Indicate the department name, box number, date range of materials, record series titles from the retention schedule and all folder titles.
NEW! (July 2010) - University Archives has an Excel template for use by all departments to create box/folder lists for transferring permanent or non-permanent records. The template can be downloaded here (xls, 144kb), and a quick instruction sheet can be downloaded here (pdf, 95kb).Thanks!
Step 4: Paperwork
- Fill out a Transmittal Form. Use only one transmittal form for each shipment of records.
Send the Transmittal Form AND a copy of the box/folder list to University Archives, using the online form.
- Make a copy of the Transmittal Form and box/folder inventory list for your records.
- University Archives will confirm the receipt of your transmittal request via e-mail or phone and mail you a memo that describes the delivery process.
Included in the memo envelope will be labels for your boxes. Place the labels on the front of the box (narrow side), files facing forward.
University Archives assigns each shipment of records an accession number. The accession number for your boxes will be printed on the labels you receive. Please record this number on your copy of the transmittal form. You will need this number if you request folders from these boxes.
- Finally, write a box number on each box label as it relates to your box/folder list. Use thick black marker for visibility.
Step 5: Schedule Delivery to Archives
When your boxes are labeled and ready for transfer, please respond to the memo to schedule a delivery appointment at the Baker Downtown Center storage facility (directions). Baker Downtown Center is not a permanently staffed facility. Please make sure you coordinate with staff before the boxes are to arrive. If permanent staff is not at Baker to accept the boxes, they will be returned to the office.
As your delivery date approaches, please confirm your appointment with Archives 24-hours in advance.
When it's time to make your delivery, someone from your office may bring the boxes to Baker Downtown Center themselves, or you may request Facilities Services to pick up and deliver the boxes for you.