How do I accept 3rd party cookies in various browsers?
It is important that you change your settings in your favorite web browser to accept 3rd party cookies because some features of Blackboard, Canvas and Sakai will not work unless they are enabled. Also, make sure you are regularly updating your browser and using a recent version. The way to enable cookies is different for every browser and changes between version types and can be different between Mac and PC as well. So the following guide may only apply to the latest versions of the web browsers.
For Firefox version 31.0 browser on a PC:
- Click on Firefox settings icon that has 3 horizontal lines in the upper right hand corner.
- Click on the “Privacy" tab at the top
- On the dropdown menu for History: Firefox will: Click the dropdown menu and change it to use custom settings
- Click the box for Accept cookies from Site and change "Accept third-party cookies" to "Always".
Here is what that should look like on the Firefox options page:
For Firefox on a MAC computer Version 28.0: Getting to this menu is a little different. You click on “Firefox” and then “Preferences” and then follow the same instructions as above.
For Google Chrome Version 36.0 on a PC:
- First find your settings icon in the upper right hand corner. It’s a series of horizontal lines like this:
Note: If you are a Sakai user (as opposed to Blackboard or Canvas) we’ve heard reports that Chrome is not the best browser for Sakai so we recommend using Firefox instead.
For Safari Mountain Lion operating system on a Mac:
- Open Safari if it is not already open.
- Choose Safari > Preferences, and then click Privacy.
- In the “Block cookies” section, specify and change "Block cookies and other website data" to "Never".
tags: browsers, internet explorer, google chrome, Safari, mozilla Firefox, cookies, accepting 3rd party cookie, Mac, PC