Enrollment - How do I add my GTF to the coursesite
How do I add my GTF to the coursesite?
We create Blackboard accounts for all students, instructors, and most staff, so in almost all cases the GTF will already have a Blackboard account. We enroll all instructors and students in the appropriate course sites each term, but we only have information on GTFs and other assistants who are listed in Banner as instructors of record, so sometimes the instructors have to enroll their GTFs themselves manually. Ideally, you will your GTF’s username before you try to add them. If you need to quickly look up a username for someone, use this link: http://uoregon.edu/findpeople and search for them and write down their username. The username you will add is the first part of the email address without the @uoregon.edu part. So if John Smith has an email of firstname.lastname@example.org, his username would be jsmith.
The steps for adding a user to a course are as follows:
- In the “Course Management” control panel (the menu on the lower left part of the page) click Users and Groups. This will drop down a short list of options. Click the link that says “Users” -> THEN ->
- On that page, click the gray "Find Users to Enroll" button in the upper left part of the page (this is the step most instructors miss).
- On the resulting "Add Enrollments" page, enter the username of the person you want to add if you have it – DO NOT CLICK BROWSE if you have their username already (this is the other part that often creates errors and is very tempting to do).
- In the pull-down menu choose the appropriate role. For a GTF that would usually be "teaching assistant"). Leave availability as its default “Yes” and then Click Submit.
If you don't know the person's username (i.e. Duck ID), this is where you can use the “Browse” button to find it based on last name, but the interface is somewhat cumbersome and it’s easier to find the username in the above referenced manner. Many people find it easier to use the UO Directory instead. Be careful -- don't just guess the username; if you're trying to enter the username for "Andrew Jones" you'll probably find that both "andrew" and "jones" refer to different students.
Once you’ve submitted the enrollment, it will take you back to your users list where you can scroll through the list (usually alphabetical by last name) and make sure the person has been added to the course to verify that everything worked. If you get an error message, see the very bottom of this help section under Errors in Enrolling Users.
In most cases a GTF or assistant should be given "teacher's assistant" rights. These are the different options available
- Student – Students are the default user of a course. They can view all content that you allow them to, and can submit assignments, take tests and use other interactive course tools.
- Grader – Graders have access to the Grade Book, but are restricted from modifying and accessing other content areas.
- Course Builder – Course Builders can upload files and make changes to content areas, but they are prevented from accessing student information, such as the grade book.
- Guest – Guests have very limited access in a Blackboard site. They can only view content areas that the instructor permits them to.
- Instructor – Instructors have the power to view and modify almost all areas of a course, including the content areas and Grade Center.
- Teaching Assistants – Teaching assistants have permission access and modify most things that the instructor can, including the Grade Center and all content areas.
Course Builder would be particularly appropriate for an undergraduate assistant who should be able to add material but not be able to see other students' grades. You can add students to your coursesite for course builder purposes, though you can't create accounts for non-UO people. Note, though, that the UO does not permit unofficial auditors in courses, so you should never enroll a student in your course site - the student should be directed to officially register for the course through DuckWeb.
You can also use the Users screen to change the role or other properties of someone already enrolled in the coursesite.
If you accidentally add someone as an instructor, it's tricky to remove the person. The trick is to first change his or her role in the course to "student" before trying to remove the enrollment in the site.
Errors in Enrolling users: If you get a permissions related error when trying to add a student or GTF this is usually because they were already enrolled, dropped or were dropped in some fashion, and then you are trying to reenroll them and their enrollment has been locked. Blackboard administration will have to unlock the enrollment for this person and manually enroll them for you. If this happens, please submit a help ticket to email@example.com and be sure to include your name, the student’s name and the student’s username as well as the CRN for the course you wish to enroll them in and their role (such as Student, Teaching Assistant, Instructor, etc.).
Watch a tour (from Blackboard Inc.) of how to create a course contact.
tags: Add users, add gtf, gtf, enroll, enroll user