Roy C Andrews photographs 1902-1955
Historic Photograph Collections
Roy C. Andrews photographs, 1902-1955.
Collection number: PH003
Extent: 9 linear ft. (34 containers)
Roy C. Andrews was a schoolteacher and administrator in Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Washington and Oregon. He was a chemistry instructor at the University of Oregon from 1935 until his retirement in 1950. Andrews is noted for his photographs of one-room schoolhouses in southern Lane County, 1911-1913. The collection consists of photographs.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Roy C. Andrews photographs, PH003-[item number], Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403-1299.
Image shown: The image shown is "Dixie Queens" (two schoolgirls at lunch from Hadleyville, Oregon, circa 1911), Roy C. Andrews collection, PH003-P954, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403-1299.
Roy C. Andrews was a school teacher and administrator in Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Washington and Oregon. He was a chemistry instructor at the University of Oregon from 1935 until his retirement in 1950. Andrews is noted for his photographs of one-room schoolhouses in southern Lane County, 1911-1913.
Andrews was born in Doon, Iowa on March 3, 1885. His parents were farmers and relocated frequently. Andrews graduated from high school in Galesburg, MI in 1903. The family moved to the San Jose area of California, where Andrews began teacher training at the State Normal School in San Jose, California (now Cal State). In 1904, "Papa decided to go east, probably to Kansas." They settled in Rogers, AK, where Roy began teaching school and became a member of the carpenter's union. By 1906 they were located in Rock Island, TX where Roy continued teaching.
Andrews was an avid amateur photographer as well as a bicyclist, and his diaries are filled with notes about evenings spent printing photos or long jaunts on his "wheel." Although limited to brief entries, the diaries reveal a life of constant physical labor, extensive travels, routine attendance at local churches and choir rehearsals, hiking and biking, and socializing with friends.
The Andrews family arrived in Eugene in 1909 and stayed. Roy found a partially finished house on Ferry Street and set to work completing it for his parents. Throughout his time in Eugene, in addition to studying at the University and teaching, he was actively employed as a carpenter, finishing three houses for his own family and working on the campus houses of Kappa Sigma, Kappa Gamma, and Gamma Delta Gamma. He began teaching at Fairview school and then spent a year at Lorane.
In 1911-1913 he served as one of the Rural Supervisors of southern Lane County, constantly visiting 51 schools. Andrews documented a wide variety of school buildings, classroom settings, and teachers with their students. His diaries include daily notations about his travels, and one list of pupils attending the schools. The school photos are compiled into an album.In addition to his supervision duties, Andrews was employed at the local library and took classes at the University of Oregon.
He graduated in 1915 with a bachelor of arts degree, and was employed that summer in San Francisco at the Horticultural Hall of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Andrews enjoyed viewing the Liberty Bell, hearing Billy Sunday speak, and attending several concerts by John Phillips Sousa. He taught high school science in Astoria in 1916, and became a botanical assistant at the University of Oregon in 1917. This was an interesting time on campus. Prof. Albert Sweetser was busy teaching on campus and in Portland, and the Herbarium was under construction. The University was preparing for battle under the direction of an Englishman, Lt. Col. John Leader, who drilled students and faculty alike and had the students convert a section of campus to trench construction and a mock battlefield. Andrews' diaries report routine drills, "summer school" officer training, and other wartime events. His photography skills were heavily used by Leader and by the teaching faculty in the preparation of lantern slides to illustrate scientific and military courses. Many of the slides survive in the Lantern Slide Collections.
Andrews applied for the Photographic Corps but was finally accepted into Artillery. In September 1918 he traveled to Camp Zachary Taylor in Louisville, Kentucky, for training as an officer in the 84th Division's 5th Observation Battery. After two months of training, the war ended and Roy Andrews came back to the Northwest. From 1919-20 he taught at South Bend, Washington, and from 1920-34 at Jefferson High School on Portland. In 1935 he was placed in charge of the chemistry laboratory at the University of Oregon, and later began teaching on campus. Throughout his life, Roy C. Andrews was active in the Unitarian Church, the Portland Choral Society, and the Eugene hiking group, Obsidians. His snapshots show many family members and young friends at the beach, hiking, or resting atop mountain summits. Roy C. Andrews died on February 3, 1955 following a brief illness.
Remembering Roy Andrews, a reminiscence by W.S. Dodds.
This collection consists of 2,037 nitrate negatives, 18 glass-plate negatives (GN), and 2,047 vintage silver gelatin photoprints (P), 247 of which are in an album. Copy negatives and viewing prints have also been produced. Among the photographs is a series of primary school photographs, interior and exterior, taken in Lane County, Oregon, 1911 and 1912. Approximately 100 images on nitrate are of unidentified schools. Images of life in Eugene and on the University of Oregon campus also appear in the collection. The collection is arranged in four series:
- People and Places: Snapshot photographs, including southern Lane County, Oregon schools, arranged by state, city, site and activity. (P1-P1499A; album contains P759-P1006).
- Friends and Family: Snapshot photographs of the Andrews family and friends, arranged by name (P1500-P1970).
- Various Subjects: Snapshot photographs, arranged alphabetically (P1971-GN2015).
- Non-Andrews photographs: postcards, souvenir photographs, and snapshots from friends (P2016-2049).
The original donation included a series of hand-tinted lantern slides and a kerosene slide projector with an attachment for opaque projections; the location of those items is not known.
Related materials (diaries, one account book, two ledgers, music concert lists, correspondence, University of Oregon material, and other miscellaneous items) are housed in the Roy C. Andrews Papers, Ax 2.
Publication rights: Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish images must be submitted to the Photographs Curator of Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Access restrictions: None.
Provenance: The collection was donated by Andrews' sisters, Martha Belknap and Dorothy Brown, in March 1955.
Processed by: Ross Sutherland/Megan Dazey and Normandy S. Helmer
Date Completed: June 1994/ February 2004