|Index for this guide:
Search the UO Library's Catalog:
Browse the Shelves
Search Music Indexes & Jazz Journals
Browse the Special Sources
View the UO Videos in Jazz
Listen to the UO Jazz Recordings
Search Publishers' Catalogs
Jazz Pedagogy Resources at the UO Knight Library's Music Services Department
I. Search the UO Library's Catalog:
Subject Headings for finding Jazz Instructional Materials:
To find books & playalong scores/CDs, search:
- Jazz- Instruction & Study (the big catchall!)
- Jazz- Interpretation (Phrasing, Dynamics, etc.)
- Big Band Music - Instruction & Study
- Drum set music- Instruction & Study
- Jazz Vocals- Instruction & Study
To find music, search:
- (Names of Instruments) Music- Jazz
e.g. Piano Music (Jazz)
also: Piano Music (Jazz)-Teaching pieces
- Jazz Vocals
- (Names of Instruments)-Methods (Jazz)
- (Names of Instruments)-Studies & Exercises (Jazz)
- Jazz- Fake Books
To find books about analyzing jazz scores, search:
- Jazz- Analysis, appreciation
- Instrumentation and orchestration (Dance orchestra)
To find other resources on learning how to play jazz, search:
- Improvisation (Music)
- Improvisation (Music)- Instruction & Study
Search Authors in the UO Catalog
To find authors who specialize in jazz instruction books, CDs, and scores, or whose music is featured in the Series of CD/Score collections, search the following Authors in the UO Catalog:
- David Baker
- Bill Dobbins
- Any jazz artist- using their last name first- and limiting the search to Music, Printed
e.g.Montgomery, Wes; Evans, Bill; Corea, Chick; Davis, Miles
Search the following series in the UO Catalog under Title:
- New Approach to Jazz Improvisation
(This will get you the Jamey Aebersold series of over 100 score/recording books- all of which can be borrowed from our Douglass Circulating collection)
- Guitar Signature Licks
(This is for guitar works only-but includes George Benson, Wes Montgomery, and others-and they usually include a score and a cd that accompanies it-also available in the Douglass Circulating collection)
II. Browse the shelves under the following call numbers:
Music Transcriptions and Arrangements:
- M88 (Trumpet jazz-arranged by composer)
- M21-22 (Piano jazz- arranged by composer)
- M32.8 (Piano jazz arrangements)
- M38.5 (Piano jazz standards- anthologies)
- M73 (Clarinet jazz)
- M85-88 (Trumpet jazz)
- M91 (Trombone jazz - arranged by composer)
- M105-108 (Saxophone jazz- arranged by composer)
- M126-128 (Guitar jazz-arranged by composer)
- M260 (Trumpet & Piano arrangements)
- M1366 (Jazz arrangements for big bands)
- M1507-1508 (Broadway standards)
- M1527 (Movie standards)
- M1630.18 (Vocal music- great place to browse for singer's sets)
Teaching & Instruction Call Numbers:
- MT 68 (Jazz improvisation sources)
- MT 86 (Jazz arranging & ensembles)
- MT239 (Piano methods for jazz)
- MT279.7 (Fiddle methods for jazz)
- MT330 (Bass methods for jazz)
- MT345 (Flute methods for jazz)
- MT392 (Clarinet methods for jazz)
- MT442-448 (Trumpet methods for jazz)
- MT505 (Saxophone methods for jazz)
- MT582-585 (Guitar methods for jazz)
- MT599 (Bass guitar methods for jazz)
- MT662 (Drum set methods for jazz)
- MT825 & MT893 (Vocal methods for jazz)
III. Search the Music Indexes for articles on your topics.
One index that is not on that guide, but is pertinent to the study of jazz as a teaching tool is ERIC, an index to articles and reports in education that includes music education resources.
While many of these will be indexed in the Music Index, ERIC includes an abstract (or summary) of the article.
IV. Browse through Special Sources for jazz instruction:
Jazz improvisational materials : an annotated bibliography of available publications on jazz improvisation.
Eugene, Or. : J. A. Music Pub., [1975?]
[MUSIC REF. ML128.J3A5]
How to learn tunes : a jazz musician's survival guide : a quick and easy method for learning and remembering the melody and chord changes to any tune in any key.
(Series: A New Approach to Jazz Improvisation, vol. 76)
New Albany, IN : Jamey Aebersold Jazz, c1997.
[MUSIC MT68 .B265 1997 + Doug Circ COMPACT DISC CX3154 + Doug Circ COMPACT DISC CX3154 Suppl]
Jazz pedagogy : a comprehensive method of jazz education for teacher and student.
Chicago : Maher Publications, 1981.
[MUSIC MT68.B28 1981]
Jazz arranging and composing : a linear approach.
Rottenburg am Neckar, West Germany : Advance Music, c1986.
NOTES:Sound cassette includes musical examples, Blues for Barry, Beautiful dreamer, and Suite for Swee' Pea.
[MUSIC MT86 .D63 1986 + DOUGLASS CASSETTE 1594M]
Scales for jazz improvisation : a practice method for all instruments.
Miami, Florida : CPP/Belwin, c1975.
[MUSIC MT45.H28 S32 1975]
Jazz education guide.
[MUSIC REF. MT68 .J39 2006/07]
Thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns.
New York, C. Scribner [c1947]
[MUSIC MT45.S55 1947]
V. View the Jazz Videos at the UO:
The UO Libraries own a number of jazz videos. These can be searched on our list of videos under Jazz Videos In The University Oregon Knight Library's Video Collection
This list will be available on the web in 2007 at:http://library.uoregon.edu/music/Videos/jazzvid.html
VI. Listen to Jazz Recordings available at the UO:
- Jazz, Ragtime & Blues in the Knight (Arranged by performer's name, this is the most complete listing of the UO's holdings)
Available on the web at: http://library.uoregon.edu/music/Discographies/Jazz/jazzdiscomain.html
Note: Because the main collection of the Douglass Room is only available for in-house listening, unless you are a UO faculty or GTF, the following lists might be of interest:
- The holdings of the Circulating Compact Disc Collection are displayed in the entrance of the Douglass Listening Room, and can be borrowed for a week at a time.
- The Jazz Play-Along collection cases are available for browsing at the entrance to the Douglass Listening Room. These are accompanied by lead sheets for the songs recorded.
VII. Check out the following Jazz Instruction Publishers:
- Jamey Aebersold Jazz Inc.
On the web at http://www.aebersold.com/
- Hal Leonard
On the web at http://www.halleonard.com and on the Music Services Reference Index table in the publishers' catalogs.
- Frangipani Press
(Available from Alfred Publishing on the web at http://www.alfred.com and on the Music Services Reference Index table in the publishers' catalogs)
- Warner-Chappell Music (formerly Warner Brothers)
On the web at http://www.warnerchappell.com/ and on the Music Services Reference Index table in the publishers' catalogs.