Aerial Photograph Collection
(University of Oregon faculty, staff, and students use to request aerial photographs for research or teaching)
(All non-OUS faculty, staff and students; or persons requesting aerial photographs for commercial use, use public request form)
The MAP Library has an extensive (over 700,000 prints) aerial photograph collection of Oregon. Due to size and complexity we cannot make aerial photographs available on a walk-in basis. Be sure to contact us several days in advance of needing to view photographs. To access the aerial photographs, contact us using the Academic Request Form or the Public Request Form. You may also email us a firstname.lastname@example.org or call (541) 346-4565 with questions about access and coverage.
Our earliest photographs were taken in 1929. For many areas we have aerial photographs from every decade from the 1930s up to the present. We also have coverage of other areas, such as those near the Oregon border (for example, Vancouver, WA). The majority of our collection is vertical photography taken looking straight down. We have very little oblique photography taken at an angle that would show the sides of building, etc.
Historic aerial photographs are a valuable research tool. Click on the following thumbnails to see how the UO campus has changed through time:
|1936: from one of our oldest projects; produced by the Army Corps of Engineers||1955: produced by photogrammetrist H. G. Chickering||1977: produced by a private company, Skyview Aerial Survey, Inc.||1990: produced by the Bureau of Land Management||2005: from the Oregon Imagery Explorer|
The Aerial Photograph Time Series of the White Stag Building is another example of using historic aerial photographs.
Guides to Print Aerial Photograph Collection
We have created the following guides to give you an overview of available Oregon coverage. Please contact us if you need detailed information for a specific site.
- Aerial Coverage for Oregon and Washington Cities and Towns
- Aerial Coverage for U.S. National Forests in Oregon and Washington
- Aerial Coverage for Bureau of Land Management lands
Digital Aerial Photographs
We have digitized some older aerial photographs and made them available on the Internet.
- Campus: Historic Aerial Photographs
- Eugene: 1936 Aerial Photographs
- Eugene: 1978 Aerial Photographs
- Corvallis: 1936 Aerial Photographs
Much of our digital collection is not available on the Internet because of copyright issues. You may access them by coming into the library. Assitance with getting access to digital aerial photographs is available Monday - Friday 9 AM to 5 PM or by special arrangement. Please contact us if you have questions about getting access.
Highlights in our digital (but not Onlilne) collection:
- University of Oregon Campus and East Eugene: 2002 (index)
- Lane Council of Governments 2008 imagery (LCOG 2008)
- 2005 1m color DOQQs in tiff format for Oregon
- 1994/95 1m grayscale DOQs in tiff format for Oregon
Free Online Aerial Photography From Outside Resources
- Oregon Explorer - 1995, 2000, 2005, 2009, and 2011 Oregon orthoimagery
- Oregon Geospatial Data Clearhinghouse - 1995, 2000, and 2005 Oregon orthoimagery
- USGS Earth Explorer - Aerial photography for much of the United States, years and resolution variable
- Google Earth - Google Earth has historic imagery, mostly from the mid 1990s to the present.