MAPRS: Map and Aerial Photography Research Service
Location: Document Center
Knight Library, First Floor
Mail: 1299 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1299
Phone: (541) 346-4565
Fax: (541) 346-1958
The Map & Aerial Photography Library at the University of Oregon is the largest collection of its type in Oregon. Currently, the MAP Collection is home to over 600,000 aerial photographs of Oregon, stretching as far back as the 1930s, and 300,000 maps. The collection has been cultivated over the years through a variety of sources.The library strives to keep the most complete and accessible collection of aerial photography prints of the state of Oregon.
The MAP Library is pleased to be able to offer a wide range of services for remote users. The aerial photography and historic map collections are closed stack--only trained library staff can research and retrieve aerial photography. For this reason the UO Libraries offer the Map & Aerial Photography Research Service (MAPRS) to locate and compile historic maps and aerial photography. This service is available at no cost to OUS students and faculty who come to the library to view materials. Non-OUS faculty, students and staff patrons will be charged a research fee. The Map and Aerial Photography Library is located in the Document Center on the first floor of the Knight Library.
Students, faculty and staff of the Oregon University System (OUS) who are doing academic research may request to view aerial photography on-site and free of charge using the online request form. Such requests by OUS academic users may not be made on behalf of any other persons not entitled to this free service. For further information on permissible uses, consult the Libraries' policy on Licensing Materials. Aerial photography and map research is a fee-based service for the public. This includes, but is not limited to individuals working for private, state, and federal organizations. Requests can be placed via e-mail or fax. Fees go toward recovering the cost of providing the service and the maintenance and development of the collection.
Making a Research Request:
Step 3. Attach the form and map to an email and send to email@example.com.
Types of Requests
- Standard ESAs: This is a request for aerial photographs of a limited area of interest (AOI) that ranges from Phase 1 (one-per-decade) to Phase 3 (every year in the collection) levels. One can also opt to have a selection of topographic map 'clips' included in the package.
- Extended ESAs: This is a request for a larger than normal area. Prices will vary depending on the size of the area. See our duplication rates for more information.
- Custom Research: When a request does not fall within our typical parameters, we will charge an hourly research fee in addition to duplication fees. A request of this sort might involve adding metadata to a standard ESA, retrieving and scanning either an area of interest (AOI) or full sheet maps from the print collection, or an ESA-type request that is particularly large or complex.
Research Service Fees
- $20 setup fee for all requests
- $10 per photo for a standard size area
- $75 / hour for custom research requests.
For more details see our:
See our FAQ for more details about the history of the collection, service and duplication services, and copyright policies.