GIS Tutorials and Training
Don't forget: we have access to ESRI's Virtual Campus as a benefit of our site license! See your departmental GIS support rep.
General GIS information and tutorials
- About GIS Introduction provided by ESRI to GIS and spatial operations.
- Sandia National Laboratories GIS technical information and tutorials related to ESRI products.
- Collection of GIS documents Extensive compilation of "how to" papers on specific GIS operations with an emphasis on ESRI products from the University of Kansas Library.
- The CyberInstitute Short-Course on Geographic Information Systems Links to a number of GIS related tutorials.
- ESRI Virtual Campus ESRI has developed a virtual campus providing self-paced GIS training on the Web. Some classes are offered free. Other classes are offered for a fee (first lesson is usually free). Educational discount of 40% for students and teachers.
- Essential Guide to GIS Guide to GIS developments. Oriented towards GIS development within business and organizations. (Ed Parsons, Kingston University.)
- GInfoserver-GIS Tutorial ListsA list of seminars and tutorials, including a number of internationally oriented sites for non-English speaking users.
- GIS Development Guides A wealth of information on how aquire, integrate, develop and maintain a GIS, targets local government needs. PDF files, undated.
- GIS Exercises From Utah State University, these GIS exercises provide clear instruction and practice assignments to ArcView and ArcInfo.
- Integrating SDTS Datasets into GIS Packages for Novice Users The conference paper presented at the Mid-America GIS Symposium
- Metadata Tutorials A "How To" Guide to Metadata Implementation, including on line exercises.
- Remote Sensing Core Curriculum Introduction to remote sensing, photogrammetry and image processing.
- Tutorial on "Representation of Spatial Knowledge" Tutorial aimed at AI researchers and engineers interested in representing and reasoning with spatial knowledge, i.e., shape, size, relative position, connectivity, ect.
- USGS PIGWAD, Planetary GIS Web Server Tutorial Page
- University of British Columbia Geography Department list of GIS resources. Among them are tutorials aimed at answering general questions regarding software, distance training, and seminars.
- ARC/INFO Training (ESRI) Introductory course offered by ESRI.
- ARC/INFO Analysis Tutorial An introductory course in ARC-INFO by Shane Murnion.
- ARC/INFO tutorial on creating grids for use of Lidar in ArcInfo.
- How do you go from an HTML form to an Arc/Info Map? Tutorial on serving Arc/Info data over the Web.
- Method for Animating ARC/INFO Images Instructions for serving MPEG animations to Web browsers.
- ArcView GIS Short Courses (USC) Nine exercise workbooks including guide to ArcView Basics, Nework Analysis, Spatial Analysis and Avenue.
- ArcView Tutorial (Dept. of Urban and Regional Planning) A brief tutorial for those who are new to ArcView and its capabilities.
- Introduction to Desktop Mapping & ArcView Overview of ArcView's functionality and capabilities as well as an explaination of terms.
- GRASS Page A variety of tutorials in different languages using GRASS software (including data).
- IDRISI Tutorial HTML and downloadable executable versions available. Created by Eric Lorup, from the IDRISI Resource Center in Austria.
- Project ASSIST: IDRISI Support Materials Tutorials using IDRISI GIS software
- Tutorial on Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation & Analysis Image processing and raster GIS.
- MapInfo Video Tutorials Site is produced and maintained by Pitney Bowes Corp.
Other Relevant Tutorials
Aviation Navigation NASA Tutorial introducing compasses, how to read aeronautical charts and plot courses. Part of a larger aviation navigation tutorial.