Aerial Photography Research Service (APRS)
The Map & Aerial Photography Library offers a wide range of services for remote users. Only trained library staff can research and retrieve aerial photography and historic map materials. For this reason the UO Libraries offer the Aerial Photography Research Service (APRS) to locate and compile historic maps and aerial photography. This service is available at no cost to University of Oregon students and faculty who come to the library to view and scan materials.
Research Request User Info:
Students, faculty, and staff
Patrons affiliated with the University of Oregon received research for free. Requests may not be made on behalf of any other persons not entitled to this free service. For further information on permissible uses, consult the Libraries' policy on Licensing Materials.
Public patrons have access to the fee-based service. Individuals working for private, state, and federal organizations qualify for this form of research. Fees go toward recovering the cost of providing the service and the maintenance and development of the collection.
Making a Research Request:
Step 1. Fill out the request form. For more detailed instructions on how to submit a research request see the Making a Research Request instructional page.
Types of Requests
- Standard ESAs: This is a request for aerial photographs of a limited area of interest (AOI) that ranges from Phase 1 (one-per-decade) to Phase 3 (every year in the collection) levels. One can also opt to have a selection of topographic map 'clips' included in the package.
- Extended ESAs: This is a request for a larger than normal area. Prices will vary depending on the size of the area. See our duplication rates for more information.
- Custom Research: When a request does not fall within our typical parameters, we will charge an hourly research fee in addition to duplication fees. A request of this sort might involve adding metadata to a standard ESA, retrieving and scanning either an area of interest (AOI) or full sheet maps from the print collection, or an ESA-type request that is particularly large or complex.
Research Service Fees
- $20 setup fee for all requests
- $10 per photo for a standard size area and scan resolution
- $75 / hour for custom research requests.
For more details see our: