Women's & Gender Studies Research Guide
The following is a selected list of resources for starting research in Women's and Gender Studies. For further assistance, contact Linda Long, Manuscripts & Women's Studies Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These reference sources can help you identify a topic for your research, provide an overview of a specific issue or topic, and suggest other materials which might be useful for your research.
- Women's Studies Encyclopedia
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Encyclopedia
- Historical Dictionary of Feminism; HQ1115.B65 1996 Knight Reference
- Routledge Critical Dictionary of Feminism and Postfeminism; HQ1115.R68 2000 Knight Reference
- Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women; HQ1115.R69 2000 Knight Reference
- Encyclopedia of Women and Gender; HQ1115.E52 Knight Reference
- Women's Issues; HQ1115.W6425 1997 Knight Reference
- Handbook of American Women's History; HQ1410.H36 1990 Knight Reference
To look for articles in journals, newspapers, or magazines, you will need to start with an index. An index will allow you to look by subject or a few keywords which describe your topic or by author.
- Gender Studies Database
Gender Studies Database provides coverage of gender-related topics, including women's studies, men's studies, and sexual diversity. (Formerly Women's Studies International)
- LGBT Life Full Text
LGBT Life is the premier resource to the world's literature regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.
- Academic Search Premier
A good starting point for research about women. Academic Search Premier indexes a large number of women's studies journals.
- Ethnic Newswatch
This database contains the complete text of articles, editorials, and reviews published in approximately 100 ethnic and minority newspapers, magazines and journals published in the U.S.
- Indexes in other disciplines may also be useful for your topic.
- Learn about off-campus access to the library's electronic resources.
UO WorldCat offers a streamlined interface for search results that combine, into a single merged list, the collections of the UO Libraries, Summit libraries, and hundreds of other libraries worldwide. When searching in UO WorldCat, entries for items owned by the UO Libraries appear at the top of the list and include information about location and availability.
- Statistical Handbook on Women in America; HQ1420.T34 1996 Knight Reference
Provides statistical information on demographics, employment and economic statues, health aspects, and social characteristics by age, race, and ethnicity, as well as selected historical and international comparative data.
- Women in America: Indicators of Social and Economic Well-Being
- Statistical Record of Women Worldwide; HQ1150.S73 1995 Knight Reference
Compilation of tables from U.S. and international sources on attitudes and opinions; business and economics; crime; domestic life; education; health; income and employment; the military; vital statistics; religion; sexuality; and sports
- Statistical Sources on Women and Gender
A portal to many Websites both for the U.S. and international, maintained by the University of Wisconsin System Women's Studies Office.
- World's Women 2000: Trends and Statistics
Online highlights available at http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/indwm/index.htm
- Women of Achievement: Thirty-Five Centuries of History; HQ1123.R38 1981 Knight Reference
- Who's Who of American Women; E176.W647 Knight Reference
- The World Who's Who of Women; HQ1123.W65 Knight Reference
- Index to Women of the World from Ancient to Modern Times; Z7963.B6I73
- Biographies Plus Illustrated
- Biography and Genealogy Master Index
An index to hundreds of sources of biographical information of people worldwide from all time periods