Finding Background Information:
- Encyclopedias and dictionaries are a useful place to gather background information on your topic. We have many specialized encyclopedias - some online and many in print in the Knight Library Reference Section.
- Annual Reviews in Sociology are review articles on various topics in Sociology written by scholars. These articles are great ways to get an overview of research on a topic as well as a reliable source of citations to important scholarship. These are a good place to find current ideas on major areas of research in Sociology - so if you are having trouble thinking of research questions for Assignment 1, this is a good place to find ideas.
- Brainstorm about words that relate to your topic
- Look for additional terms in the articles you find
- Look at bibliographies and cited references to find more information on your topic
Sociologists can use the American Sociological Association Style Guide to format citations for papers. Please see the overview and samples of the style.