Further Research in Religious Studies
The following is a selected list of resources for research in Religious Studies. For further assistance, contact Paul Frantz, Reference Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-1880
These reference sources will provide an overview of a specific topic and suggest other materials which might be useful for your research.
- Oxford Bibliographies provide concise summaries and annotated bibliographies of topics within Biblical Studies, Islam, and Judaism.
- Encyclopedia of Religion, 2nd ed. (1st ed. in print in Knight Reference BL 31 .E46 1986)
- A comprehensive list of encyclopedias in religious studies and other disciplines
- The Brill Dictionary of Religion (Knight Reference BL 31 .M4813 2007)
To look for articles in academic journals or magazines, start with a periodical index. An index will allow you to find articles by subject, by a few keywords which describe your topic, or by author.
- OneSearch allows you to search for journal articles in a number of religious studies databases simultaneously, including ATLA Religion Database and Index Islamicus.
- ATLA Religion database indexes approximately 600 religious studies periodicals and multi-author books, with coverage back to 1949. The full text of about 40 religious journals is included in the database.
- Index Islamicus is an international bibliography of publications in European languages on all aspects of Islam and the Muslim world, covering from 1906 to the present.
- JSTOR provides full text retrospective coverage of core academic journals.
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index provides indexing to about 1500 periodicals in the humanities. Uniquely, it allows researchers to see which journal articles have been cited by subsequent writers.From 1975 to the present.
- LibrarySearch offers a streamlined interface for search results that combine, into a single merged list, the collections of the UO Libraries and Summit libraries.
- Books on religious studies can be found under the following call numbers:
- BL Religion
- BM and DS 101-151 Judaism
- BP and DS 35-39 Islam
- BQ Buddhism [both in the Knight and East Asian collections]
- BR-BX Christianity
- Dissertation Abstracts provides summary information to dissertations in all subjects from 1861 to the present.
- American Religion Data Archive stores and distributes data sets from the leading studies on American religion, including many surveys.
- Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches (Knight Reference BR 513 .Y4 latest edition) is a basic statistical source for North American religion.
- J. Gordon Melton's Encyclopedia of American Religions, latest edition (Knight Reference BL 2525 .M449), is a comprehensive source for contact information for religious bodies in this country.
- A select list of scholarly organizations in religious studies and related disciplines
- The Department of Religious Studies at the University of Oregon.
- The Internet Sacred Text Archive provides a linked bibliography of complete books scanned into the archive. Both primary and secondary sources are included.
- The Digital Dead Sea Scrolls offers five of the 950 Dead Sea Scrolls in the Israel Museum of Jerusalem.
- Three Cairo Genizah manuscript collections are available online now, from Cambridge, Oxford, and the John Rylands Library. These Jewish manuscript fragments offer a continuum of Jewish Middle Eastern and North African life from the 9th to the 19th centuries.
Last revised December 2014 by Paul Frantzpfrantz@uoregon.edu