Research in Philosophy
The following is a selected list of resources for starting research in Philosophy. For further assistance, contact Paul Frantz, Reference Librarian, at email@example.com or 541-346-1880
Reference sources provide an overview of a specific issue and suggest other materials which might be useful for your research.
- The Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2nd edition, Macmillan) provides overviews of philosophers and philosophical concepts.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Knight Reference B 51 .R68 1998) is a 10-volume set providing overviews of philosophers and philosophical concepts.
- The New Dictionary of the History of Ideas is a six-volume survey of the history of Western thought and culture.
- The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is a web encyclopedia, whose entries are being added over time.
- The Encyclopedia of Asian Philosophy (Knight Reference B 121 .E53 2001) complements the western orientation of the above sets.
- The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, Second Edition, (Knight Reference B 41 .C35 1999) provides concise entries on concepts and key figures in the field.
To look for articles in academic journals or magazines, start with a periodical index. An index will allow you to find articles by subject, by a few keywords which describe your topic, or by author.
- OneSearch allows you to search for journal articles in a number of philosophy databases simultaneously, including Philosopher's Index and JSTOR
- The Philosopher's Index provides subject and author access to philosophy periodicals and books. Its coverage extends back to 1940.
- JSTOR provides full text retrospective coverage of core academic journals.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts gives indexing of academic journals in political philosophy.
- L'Annee Philologique provides an index to articles in classics journals and thus to ancient philosophy. (Note this helpful user's guide to the database.)
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index provides indexing to about 1,300 periodicals in the humanities. Uniquely, it allows researchers to see which journal articles have been cited by subsequent writers.Coverage: 1975 to the present.
- LibrarySearch offers a streamlined interface for search results that combine, into a single merged list, the collections of the UO Libraries and 37 academic libraries in the Pacific Northwest (Summit).
- Books on philosophy can be found under the following call numbers:
- B Philosophy
- BC Logic
- BD Speculative philosophy
- BF 311-316 Cognition
- BH Aesthetics
- BJ Ethics
- GE 40-45 Environmental ethics
- HQ 1190 Feminist theory
- JA 71-91 and JC 11-628 Political theory
- Q 174-179 Philosophy of science
- T 14 Philosophy of technology
- Dissertations & Theses provides summary information of dissertations in all subjects from 1861 to the present.
- The American Philosophical Association Online provides membership and governance information about the association, a list of its publications, grant and fellowship opportunities, and links to other Web sites of interest to philosophers.
- The Society of Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy supports the Continental European tradition of philosophy.
- Directory of American philosophers (Knight Reference B 935 .D5) lists the faculty of university departments of philosophy. A corresponding work, International Directory of Philosophy and Philosophers (Knight Reference B 35 .I5) does the same for institutions in 132 countries.
- Intelex Past Masters offers full text electronic editions of the works of Dewey, Hegel, Hume, Kant, Locke, Nietzsche, and Wittgenstein.
- Philosophy at the University of Oregon provides information about faculty, degree requirements, and course descriptions.
- PhilPapers enables you to browse the tables of contents of philosophy journals and view papers from online archives. Requires registration, but that is free.
- Philosophical Installations offers over 1500 videos of a philosophical nature (free for non-commercial use). The site is curated by Naomi Zack of the UO's Philosophy Department.
Last revised December 2014 by Paul Frantzpfrantz@uoregon.edu