Finding News Articles: Oregon Indexes
Finding Articles in Oregon Newspapers
"Fact that is fact every day is not news; it's truth. We report news, not truth." - Linda Ellerbee
This guide provides a list of newspaper indexes and full-text sources for news stories available in the UO Libraries for Oregon newspapers.
The Oregonian: Indexes
The Eugene Public Library offers indexing and full text content to The Oregonian, through a database available to public libraries. The UO Libraries offers Factiva, which provides limited full text content of The Oregonian from July 1989 to the present. In the Factiva search box, enter sn=Oregonian and then a keyword/s. Example: sn=Oregonian and Kitzhaber
The Oregonian also provides searching and very limited full text content to its newspaper.
Oregon Newspapers Index provides an online index to articles in The Oregonian. The database covers 1852-1987 and contains more than 839,000 records.
Portland Newspaper Index. 1851-1979. MICROFICHE AI 21.O5 1851-1979. Produced from card index prepared by the Multnomah County Library. "Articles are indexed from the Oregonian, 1851-1979, the Oregon Journal, 1902-1979, plus some other local newspapers, periodicals, and miscellaneous monographs. The subjects pertain to Oregon, Portland, and the Northwest."
Portland Newspaper Index, 1980-1984. MICROFICHE AI 21.O5 1980-1984. Continuation of Portland Newspaper Index. Indexes articles from:
- Oregon Journal
- Willamette Week
- Business Journal
The Register-Guard has a search box, with a "paid archive" back to 1991 and a Google news archive back to 1867. For full text of articles not available through the home page, use UO Library microfilm.
Eugene Newspaper Index. 20 fiches. MICROFICHE AI 21 .E96. Compiled by George Ann Clingan and Patty Rhay at the Lane Community College Library. The first part, pages 1-22, is the list of newpapers indexed, the list of abbreviations, and the subject authority. The second part, pages 23-391, is the Biography section. The third part, pages 548-1051, is the General News section. Papers indexed: Democratic Herald, Democratic Register, Eugene City News, Eugene City Review, Eugene City Guard, Pacific Journal, and People's Press.
Oregon Daily Emerald index to the University of Oregon student newspaper.
Daily Emerald Index to the campus newspaper of the University of Oregon. This index is part of the Oregon Newspapers Index and contains more than 102,000 records.
Eugene Weekly , Eugene's alternative weekly newspaper. Search or browse issues by keyword or date.
The Oregon Digital Newspaper Program provides keyword searching to the full text of the early years of many Oregon newspapers
Factiva also indexes a number of other Oregon newspapers, besides The Oregonian. Coverage varies. These newspapers include:
- Business Journal of Portland
- Columbian (Vancouver, WA)
- Dalles Chronicle
- Grants Pass Daily Courier
- Klamath Falls Herald & News
- Mail Tribune (Medford)
- News-Review (Roseburg)
- Northwest Construction
- Oregon Business
- Oregonian (Portland)
- Pacific Builder and Engineer
- Register-Guard (Eugene)
- Statesman Journal (Salem)
- World (Coos Bay)
In the Factiva search box, enter sn=[the name of the newspaper], and then a keyword. Example: sn=Columbian and bridges
- Oregon Index
- A selective index to Oregon newspapers, and to Oregon items in selected other publications. Oregon Index coverage varies from paper to paper. Newspapers indexed include:
- Coos Bay World, Jan 1996 - May 1996
- Corvallis Gazette Times, 1995 - 1999
- Daily Astorian, 1998-1990
- Eugene Register-Guard, 1988 - 2002
- Klamath Falls Herald & News, 1996
- LaGrande Observer, 1995 - 2004
- Lake Oswego Review, 1996 - 2004
- Portland Oregonian, Jan 1985-Dec 1992
- Salem Statesman Journal, Jan 1987 - Sept 2002
- Tigard Times, 1996 - 2003
- West Linn Tidings, 1998 - 2004
- Willamette Week, 1974 - 1997
- Wilsonville Spokesman, 1995 - 2004
- East Oregonian Index [Pendelton], 1976-1983
- KNIGHT AI 21 .E753a
- Oregon Journal index, 1902-1908
- KNIGHT AI 21.O78
- Oregon Spectator Index, 1846-1854
- OR.COLL. AI 21 .O7