Finding News Articles: Oregon Indexes
Finding Articles in Oregon Newspapers
This guide provides a list of newspaper indexes and full-text sources for news stories available in Oregon newspapers.
For a quick look at current topics in Oregon media, try the Oregon Media Directory. This site compiles links to 60 websites for Oregon newspapers, radio and TV stations, and community-oriented blogs. There is a custom search box for each category, and also for the entire site.
The Oregonian provides a search box and very limited full text (mainly recent months) to its newspaper. To get the full text of articles not available through the Oregonian website, use the UO Library microfilm.
Oregon Newspapers Index provides an online index to articles in The Oregonian. The database covers 1852-1987 and contains more than 839,000 records.
Portland Newspaper Index. 1851-1979. MICROFICHE AI 21.O5 1851-1979. Produced from card index prepared by the Multnomah County Library. "Articles are indexed from the Oregonian, 1851-1979, the Oregon Journal, 1902-1979, plus some other local newspapers, periodicals, and miscellaneous monographs. The subjects pertain to Oregon, Portland, and the Northwest."
Portland Newspaper Index, 1980-1984. MICROFICHE AI 21.O5 1980-1984. Continuation of Portland Newspaper Index. Indexes articles from:
- Oregon Journal
- Willamette Week
- Business Journal
The Register-Guard has a search box, with a Google news archive back to 1867 and a ProQuest search box back to 2001. For full text of articles not available through the home page, use UO Library microfilm.
Eugene Newspaper Index. 20 fiches. MICROFICHE AI 21 .E96. Compiled by George Ann Clingan and Patty Rhay at the Lane Community College Library. The first part, pages 1-22, is the list of newpapers indexed, the list of abbreviations, and the subject authority. The second part, pages 23-391, is the Biography section. The third part, pages 548-1051, is the General News section. Papers indexed: Democratic Herald, Democratic Register, Eugene City News, Eugene City Review, Eugene City Guard, Pacific Journal, and People's Press.
Oregon Daily Emerald index to the University of Oregon student newspaper.
Daily Emerald Index to the campus newspaper of the University of Oregon. This index is part of the Oregon Newspapers Index and contains more than 102,000 records.
Eugene Weekly , Eugene's alternative weekly newspaper, has a search box covering the previous 18 months.
- The Oregon Digital Newspaper Program provides keyword searching to the full text of the early years of many Oregon newspapers
- The Library of Congress's Chronicling America project provides digitization of American newspapers, including Oregon's, from 1836-1922.
Factiva also indexes a number of other Oregon newspapers, besides The Oregonian. Coverage varies. These newspapers include:
- Business Journal of Portland
- Columbian (Vancouver, WA)
- Dalles Chronicle
- Grants Pass Daily Courier
- Klamath Falls Herald & News
- Mail Tribune (Medford)
- News-Review (Roseburg)
- Northwest Construction
- Oregon Business
- Oregonian (Portland)
- Pacific Builder and Engineer
- Register-Guard (Eugene)
- Statesman Journal (Salem)
- World (Coos Bay)
- Oregon Index
- A selective index to Oregon newspapers, and to Oregon items in selected other publications. Oregon Index coverage varies from paper to paper. Newspapers indexed include:
- Coos Bay World, Jan 1996 - May 1996
- Corvallis Gazette Times, 1995 - 1999
- Daily Astorian, 1998-1990
- Eugene Register-Guard, 1988 - 2002
- Klamath Falls Herald & News, 1996
- LaGrande Observer, 1995 - 2004
- Lake Oswego Review, 1996 - 2004
- Portland Oregonian, Jan 1985-Dec 1992
- Salem Statesman Journal, Jan 1987 - Sept 2002
- Tigard Times, 1996 - 2003
- West Linn Tidings, 1998 - 2004
- Willamette Week, 1974 - 1997
- Wilsonville Spokesman, 1995 - 2004
- East Oregonian Index [Pendelton], 1976-1983
- KNIGHT AI 21 .E753a
- Oregon Journal index, 1902-1908
- KNIGHT AI 21.O78
- Oregon Spectator Index, 1846-1854
- OR.COLL. AI 21 .O7