Latin American Studies Guide
Latin American Studies Guide
Starting Your Research
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture Knight Reference F1406 .E53 2008
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures Knight Reference F1406 .E515 2000
- Historical Atlas of Latin America Knight Maps F1408 .W66 1967
- More maps of Central America and the Caribbean
- PRISMA (Publicaciones y Revistas Sociales y Humanísticas)
- HAPI: Hispanic American Periodicals Index
- Use the FindText button to access articles.
Finding Articles in Newspapers & Popular Magazines
- LexisNexis Academic
- Sources > Find Sources
- Publication Type: check News
- More options:
- Regions of Coverage: check Central America & Caribbean/South America
- Publication Languages: check English/Spanish/Portuguese
- Click Find Sources
- Check relevant publications and click OK - Continue
- Add topic keywords and click Search
- Ethnic NewsWatch US newspapers of local cultural communities, in English and Spanish
- Informe Full-text resource for popular Spanish-language publications, covering business, health, tech, culture, and current events.
- Latin American Newspapers Historic archive with text-searchable images of 19th and 20th century newspapers in Spanish, English, and Portuguese.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies
- HLAS searches citations only. Copy citations into WorldCat to find or request books.
- Books & Movies - Refine these results by adding search terms to the box at the top, or by clicking on the descriptions in the left column. Or substitute a country name for Latin America, as in Chile - History or Bolivia - Social Policy.
- Latin America -- History
- Latin America - Geography
- Latin America - Politics and Government
- Latin America - Relations (with other regions or countries)
- Latin America - Social Conditions and Latin America - Social Policy
- Latin America - Economic Conditions and Latin America - Economic Policy
- Latin America - Ethnic Relations
- Hispanic Americans (i.e., Latin@s in the US)
Finding Web Resources
- The Latin American Network Information Center
- Links to news, academic websites, government information, cultural organizations, and more from all parts of Latin America
- Political Database of the Americas
- Constitutions, political parties, human rights, indigenous peoples, and more. Multilingual. Select "The PDBA Resource" from the drop-down menu on the left.
- Organization of American States
- United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America (ECLA/CEPAL)
- Inter-American Development Bank
- South American organization for international trade. Spanish and Portuguese only.
- Choike News and reports from Southern civil society NGOs.
- Digital National Security Archive
- A comprehensive collection of significant primary documents central to U.S. foreign and military policy since 1945, including significant collections on numerous Latin American topics.
- CEPALSTAT - Economic, demographic, social, and environmental data
- Latin American Public Opinion Project, Vanderbilt University
- International Historical Statistics: The Americas, 1750-1993 Knight Reference HA175 .M55 1998
Finding Maps and Images
- Maps of Latin America are available in the Map Library in the drawers for call numbers G4390 to G5667. For a specific country, see this map.
Course-Specific Research Guides
- LAS 399: Post Study Abroad Research Seminar (Genocide and human rights in Guatemala)