European Union Information
The following is a selected list of resources for starting research about the European Union. For further assistance, contact Jonathan Cain at email@example.com
General EU Information
These sources can be used to find general information about the European Union: how it works, its structure and its institutions and activities.
- Europa The main portal to the European Union's web pages. Includes basic information about the EU, including a guide to its institutions and living and working in the EU.
- A - Z Index of the European Commission A comprehensive index of subjects related to the European Union including budget, legislative and general information.
- Glossary of EU terms A glossary from the Europa website containing 233 terms relating to European integration and the activities and institutions of the EU.
- EU Databases by subject Alphabetical listing of European Union databases by subject, including such areas as environment, customs and trade, and industry.
- European countries Use the interactive map or country list to find social, cultural, historical and governmental information about any EU Member State.
Institutions and Bodies
The links below go to the official websites of the institutions and bodies that make up the European Union.
- The European Commission The Commission drafts proposals for new European laws, implements policies and manages the spending of EU funds.
- The European Parliament The European Parliament passes laws and approves the EU annual budget, sharing legislative power with the Council.
- The Council of the European Union The EU's main decision-making body, the Council members are ministers of the EU member states.
- The Court of Justice The Court of Justice is responsible for ensuring that the law is interpreted and applied in the same way in all EU countries.
- The European Central Bank The ECB is responsible for managing the euro by setting interest rates and ensuring price stability.
- The European Investment Bank The EIB is the long-term lending bank of the EU, charged with contributing towards the integration and development of the EU Member States.
- European Economic and Social Committee A consultative body that gives representatives of Europe's socio-occupational interest groups a platform on which to express their views on EU issues.
- Community agencies A list of current European Community agencies, which are bodies charged with specific scientific, technical or managerial tasks.
- OECD Economic Surveys Euro area; DOCS REF [HC240.A1.O33 2007]
- Bulletin of the European Union.
Monthly record of the activities of the European Commission and the other Community institutions, published by the Secretariat- General of the Commission. ARCHIVED 31 August 2009.
- General Report on the Activities of the European Union
- Global Insight: Country Intelligence
Economic and political news/analysis for world nations. Select "Country Intelligence", then "Europe".
- European Affairs
- European Policy Analyst
- European Union Politics
- Europe's World
- Eurostat Eurostat provides access to the latest and most complete statistical information available on the European Union and the EU Member States. Updated daily.
- Europe in Figures: Eurostat Yearbook A comprehensive selection of statistical data on the European Union, its Member States and candidate countries.
- Public Opinion Analysis Surveys and studies address major topics concerning European citizenship; for example, social situation, health, culture, information technology, defense, etc.
- EU Statistics From Northwestern University, a comprehensive set of links to EU statistical sources.
- Europa: Treaties and Law A list of all European treaties with detailed information of each. Also includes the complete consolidated texts of all treaties available for free download.
- EUR-Lex EUR-Lex provides free, direct access to European law. Includes treaties, legislation, case law and legislative proposals.
- Case Law Search for the texts of judgments, opinions and orders of the Court of Justice and the Court of First Instance delivered since 1997.
- Summaries of legislation This site provides fact sheets that summarize European legislation. These are divided into the 32 subject areas which are the Activities of the European Union.
- Official Journal of the European Union The Official Journal of the European Union is the gazette of record for the EU.It comprises two series: the L series contains EU legislation and the C series contains reports and judgments of the European Court of Justice and the Court of First Instance.
- PreLex A database that follows the major stages of the decision-making process between the European Commission and other EU institutions, and monitors the work of the various institutions involved.