Oregon's Latino Roots
Oregon's Latino Roots
This bibliography is intended as a thorough starting-point for researchers interested in the past and present of Latinos in Oregon. It is not exhaustive, but we hope very useful. Many thanks to Leslie Cagle, currently an iSchool student at the University of Washington, for her work compiling these resources.
If you have a book, article, or other scholarly resource that you would like added to this bibliography, get in touch with John Russell (email address at the bottom of the page).
General Reference Materials
- Acuña, Rodolfo and Guadalupe Compean, eds. Voices of the U.S. Latino Experience. (Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 2008). Find in a library
- Straub, Deborah Gillan. Hispanic American Voices. (Detroit: UXL, 1997). Find in a library
Books and Theses
- Antu-Beals, Maria Josephine. Effect of Social Status Upon Chicano Cognitive Profiles. Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of Oregon, 1984. Find in a library
- Bussel, Robert, ed. Understanding the Immigrant Experience in Oregon : Research, Analysis, and Recommendations from University of Oregon Scholars. (Eugene, Or.: Labor Education and Research Center, University of Oregon, 2008). English-language version ; Spanish-language version
- Colegio César Chávez. (Mt. Angel, Or.: El Colegio, 1975). Find in a library
- Gamboa, Erasmo. Mexican Labor and World War II: Braceros in the Pacific Northwest, 1942-1947. (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1990). Find in a library ; reprinted edition
- Gamboa, Erasmo, and Carolyn M. Buan, eds. Nosotros: the Hispanic people of Oregon : Essays and Recollections. (Portland, Or.: Oregon Council for the Humanities, 1995). Find in a library
- Gonzales-Berry, Erlinda, and Marcela Mendoza. Mexicanos in Oregon: Their Stories, Their Lives. (Corvallis: Oregon State University Press, 2010). Find in a library
- Gutiérrez, José Angel. The Making of a Chicano Militant: Lessons from Cristal. (Madison, Wis: University of Wisconsin Press, 1998). Find in a library
- Harahsheh, Bader. Assessment of the Unmet HIV Prevention Needs of Communities of Color in Oregon. (Portland, OR: Multicultural HIV/AIDS Alliance of Oregon, 1998). Find in a library
- Hobbs, Beverly B. Recruiting and Supporting Latino Volunteers. (Corvallis, Or.: Oregon State University, Extension Service, 2000). Find in a library ; also available online
- Hopkins, David, and Isolde Alexander. Hispanic Oregonians: Maternal and Infant Health. (Portland, Or.: Oregon Dept. of Human Resources, Health Division, Center for Disease Prevention and Epidemiology, Center for Health Statistics, 1993). Find in a library
- Jensen, Michelle Kirstina. School Engagement in Latino High School Students: Ecological Factors and Academic Outcomes. Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of Oregon, 2003. Find in a library
- Lindberg, Kreg. Outdoor Recreation Amongst Oregon's Hispanic and Asian Populations Summary Report. (Bend, Or.: Oregon State University, Cascades Campus, 2007). Available online
- Maldonado, Carlos Saldivar. The Longest Running Death in History: A History of Colegio Cesar Chavez, 1973-1983. Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of Oregon, 1986. Find in a library
- May, Glenn Anthony. Sonny Montes and Mexican American Activism in Oregon. (Corvallis: Oregon State University Press, 2011). Find in a library
- Mendoza, Marcela, and Lynn Stephen, eds. Gender, Families, and Latino Immigration in Oregon: Conference Proceedings, May 22-23, 2008. (Eugene, Or.: Center for the Study of Women in Society, University of Oregon, 2009). Available online
- Meyer, Julie Eileen. A Struggle for Justice: The History of PCUN and the Call to Unionize Farmworkers in Oregon. Thesis (Honors)--University of Oregon, 2000. Find in a library
- Mulcahy, Joanne B. Remedios: The Healing Life of Eva Castellanoz. (San Antonio, Tex: Trinity University Press, 2010). Find in a library
- Neal, Margaret B. Needs and Service Priorities of the Hispanic Elderly in Multnomah County, Oregon. (Portland, Or.: Area Agency on Aging, 1979). Find in a library
- Oregon, and Oregon Center for Health Statistics. Multicultural Health: Mortality Patterns by Race and Ethnicity, Oregon, 1986-1994. ( Portland, Or.: Oregon Dept. of Human Resources, Health Division, Center for Disease Prevention and Epidemiology, Center for Health Statistics, 1997). Find in a library
- Powell, Jean Cecelia. Entre Dos Mundos = Between Two Worlds : Empowering Oregon's Hispanics. Thesis (M.S.)--University of Oregon, 1990. Accompanying videocassette includes two promotional spots and a four-part series of reports which were produced by the author and originally broadcast on KEZI-TV in Eugene, Oregon. Find in a library
- Ray, Maureen. A Tale of Two Cities: The Role of Place in Ethnic Acculturation. Thesis (M.A.)--University of Oregon, 2003. Find in a library
- Stephen, Lynn. The Story of PCUN and the Farmworker Movement in Oregon. (Eugene, Or.: Dept. of Anthropology, University of Oregon, 2001). Find in a library ; 2012 Revised edition (PDF)
- Stephen, Lynn. Transborder Lives: Indigenous Oaxacans in Mexico, California, and Oregon. (Durham: Duke University Press, 2007). Find in a library
- Sutton, Timothy Matthew Lee. Community or Commodity: A Critical Ethnography of Spanish Language Radio in Eugene, Oregon. Thesis (M.A.)--University of Oregon, 2007. Find in a library
- Turner, Brenda, and Mary Wood. Hispanics in Oregon's Workforce, 1998. (Salem, Or.: Oregon Employment Dept., Workforce Analysis, 1998). Available online
- Valle, Isabel. Fields of Toil: A Migrant Family's Journey. (Pullman: Washington State University Press, 1994). Find in a library
- Vanegas, Sarah Marie. Dietary acculturation among Oregon Latinos factors affecting food choice. Thesis (M.S.)--Oregon State University, 2008. Find in a library
- White, Beverly Baird. Hispanic Family Diabetes Project: A Pilot Intervention Study. Thesis (Ph. D.)--Oregon State University, 2006. Find in a library ; also available online
Articles and Research Papers
- Casas, Mary Ann, "Moreno v. Tankersley : The Migrant Class Action of 1969," undergraduate research paper, University of Oregon, 2005. Available online
- Dash, Robert C. "Mexican Labor and Oregon Agriculture: The Changing Terrain of Conflict." Agriculture and Human Values 13, no. 4 (1996): 10-20.
- Gamboa, Erasmo. "Chicanos in the Pacific Northwest: Expanding the Discourse." The Americas Review 23, nos. 3-4 (1995): 15-25.
- Gamboa, Erasmo. "Mexican Labor in the Pacific Northwest, 1943-1947: A Photographic Essay." Pacific Northwest Quarterly 73, no. 4 (1982): 175-181.
- Jones, Pamela. "'There Was a Woman:' 'La Llorona' in Oregon." Western Folklore 47, no. 3 (1988): 195-211.
- Nelson, Lise. "Farmworker Housing and Spaces of Belonging in Woodburn, Oregon." Geographical Review 97, no. 4 (2007): 520-541.
- Nusz, Nancy, and Gabriella Ricciardi. "Our Ways: History and Culture of Mexicans in Oregon." Oregon Historical Quarterly 104, no. 1 (2003): 110-123.
- Ricciardi, Gabriella. "Telling Stories, Building Altars." Oregon Historical Quarterly 107, no. 4 (2006): 536-552.
- Sarathy, Brinda. "The Latinization of Forest Management Work in Southern Oregon: A Case from the Rogue Valley." Journal of Forestry 104, no. 7 (2006): 359-365.
- Slatta, Richard W. "Chicanos in the Pacific Northwest: An Historical Overview of Oregon's Chicanos." Aztlan 6, no. 3 (1975): 327-340.
- Slatta, Richard W., and Maxine P. Atkinson. "The 'Spanish Origin' Population of Oregon and Washington: A Demographic Profile, 1980." Pacific Northwest Quarterly 75, no. 3 (1984): 108-116.
- Stephen, Lynn. "Cultural Citizenship and Labor Rights for Oregon Farmworkers: The Case of Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Nordoeste (PCUN)." Human Organization 62, no. 1 (2003): 27 - 38.
- Stephen, Lynn, and Paul C. Kersey. "Globalizacion, el estado y la creacion de trabajadores indigenas 'flexibles:' trabajadores agricolas Mixtecos en Oregon." Relaciones: Estudios de Historia y Sociedad 23, no. 90 (2002): 87-113.
- Vallejo, Edlyn M. "Experiments in Chicano Education." Aztlan 29, no. 1 (2004): 279-281.
Newspapers, Magazines, or Journals
- Chavista. 1978-1979. Find in a library
- Hispanic News. 1981- . Find in a library
- Noticias Latinas! 1996- . Find in a library
- Oregon Commission on Hispanic Affairs, Annual Report. 2007- . Available online
- La voz unida. 1973-1974. Find in a library
- Chamberlin, Tom, and Martha Gies. Aumento ya! A Raise Now! : The Story of PCUN's Tenth Anniversary Organizing Campaign. 1996. Find in a library
- Oregon Latino Youth Video Project, Northwest Film Center (Portland, Or.), and Oregon Council for Hispanic Advancement. Nuestra Visión, Nuestro Futuro / Our Vision, Our Future : The Oregon Latino Youth Video Project. 2003. Find in a library
- Oregon Public Broadcasting. The Oregon Story: Agricultural Workers. 2001. Find in a library
- Platt, Kamala. Redressing Environmental Racism. 2000. Find in a library
- Poizat-Newcomb, Steve. Fiesta Latina: Expressions of Latino Culture. 1996. Find in a library
Web Documents and Websites
- Oregon. Commission on Hispanic Affairs. http://www.oregon.gov/Hispanic/index.shtml.
- Oregon Partnership for Cancer Control. Cancer in Hispanics in Oregon. Portland, OR: Oregon Partnership for Cancer Control, 2007. http://library.state.or.us/repository/2007/200710171003173.
- Oregon State University Libraries. Braceros in Oregon Photograph Collection. http://oregondigital.org/digcol/bracero/.
- Oregon State University Libraries. Oregon Multicultural Archives Digital Collection. http://oregondigital.org/digcol/cultural/index.html.
- Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste/Northwest Treeplanters and Farmworkers United. PCUN: Oregon's Farmworker Union. http://www.pcun.org/.
- Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media. Bracero History Archive. http://braceroarchive.org/.
- Salem Public Library. "Latinos in Salem," Salem Online History. http://www.salemhistory.net/people/latinos.htm.
- University of Oregon Libraries. Migrant Oregon. http://library.uoregon.edu/dc/latino_heritage/
- University of Texas Libraries. VOCES Oral History Project. http://www.lib.utexas.edu/voces/index.html.
- "Annabelle E. Jaramillo Papers, 1967-2001," Oregon State University Libraries
- "Colegio César Chávez Collection, 1978-2005," Oregon State University Libraries
- "Erlinda Gonzales-Berry Papers, 1982-2007," Oregon State University Libraries
- "Ethnology Collection, 1789-2009," Oregon Historical Society (Box 5, folder 2 contains Mexican-American material from the 1970s)
- "Sherman A. Washburn Photographs, 1962," Oregon Historical Society
- "Valley Migrant League Records, 1962-1972," Oregon Historical Society