Genealogy - Family Group Sheets
Sampling of Books in the Knight Library
Here are some titles genealogists have found useful in the past. This is a very small sampling of possibilities for genealogical research in the University of Oregon Library System.
- Collin's Peerage of England (Knight CS 421 .C74 1812a) - done in 1812, be sure to consult a thick volume labeled "addend and corrigenda" at the end of the set that corrects the errors in the original set.
- titles beginning: Burke's.... are the standard sources for information about extinct baronetcies, landed gentry, English royalty, etc. Similar material of interest are titles beginning: Debrett's... (Ref and Knight CS 420 - CS425)
- Victoria History of the Counties of England (general area Knight DA 670 .V) - many historical details about people and places including even the smallest villages in England. (This set is still in the process of being published.)
- Index to the Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society, 1812-1961 (shelved with the Proceedings, Knight E 172 .A357 1812-1961 Index) - a thorough index to a long run of an important publication.
- General Index to the Colonial Records in 16 volumes and to the Pennsylvania Archives in 12 volumes (Knight F 146 .P409 Index) - an index to writings about early Pennsylvania history
- Abstracts of Wills on File in the Surrogate's Office, City of New York [for the colony of New York, 1665-1801] (Knight F 116.N63)
- Land Grants and Claims, 1789-1837 (shelved as U.S. Serial Set, no.28-36, also known as American State Papers DOC-US Y 1.1/2: no.28 - no.36). Grassroots of America (Docs Ref J34 .M255) is an index to names in these volumes.
- Directory of Archives and Manuscript Repositories (Ref CD 3020 .D49 1988) - holdings in U.S. libraries and historical societies. See also: Directory of Historical Organizations in the United States and Canada (Ref E 172 .A538) - Both for knowing where to visit or whom to write for information
- Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest (search UO catalog for call numbers - shelved in the Oregon Collection) - mostly from the 19th century
- United States Congressional Serial Set (DOC-US Y 1.1/2:) is a collection of documents the United States Congress and Executive Branches ordered printed. The subjects are wide ranging, e.g. surveys, investigations, claims, reports from all parts of the country. Also lists of members of the armed services. These lists are names only, no further information except that as of x date a person was in the military. The Documents Section has an index to the set from 1789 to 1969.
- Genealogies Cataloged by the Library of Congress since 1986 [to 1991] (Ref Z 5313.U5 L53 1991) - those genealogies that have been microfilmed can be obtained through InterLibrary Loan.
- Annotated Bibliography of Genealogical Works in Canada (DOC-CN SN3-108/) - not only a list of Canadian family histories, but volumes 2-6 is an index of family names.