Education Research Guide
(also see the Counseling Psychology guide and the Communication Disorders guide)
The following is a selected list of resources for starting research in Education. For further assistance, contact Katy Lenn, Education Reference Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Starting Your Research
- Finding Articles
- Finding Books
- People, Organizations, & Web resources
- Recent COE faculty publications
These sources can help you identify a topic for your research. They can provide an overview of a specific issue and suggest other materials which might be useful for your research.
- Encyclopedia of education (2nd ed.), 2003; KNIGHT REF LB 15 .E47 2003 or on online
- International encyclopedia of education, 2010
- Encyclopedia of educational research; KNIGHT REF LB 15 .E48 1992
- Encyclopedia of special education : a reference for the education of the handicapped and other exceptional children and adults; KNIGHT REF LC4007 .E53 2000
- Encyclopedia of disability; KNIGHT REF HV 1568 .E528 2006 or online
- Dictionary of developmental disabilities terminology
- Handbook of social justice in education; KNIGHT REF LC 71 .H364 2009
- Sage online Reference books: Includes: Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media; Encyclopedia of Distributed Learning; Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration; Encyclopedia of Human Development; Encyclopedia of Juvenile Justice, Encyclopedia of Religious and Spiritual Development; Encyclopedia of School Psychology; Encyclopedia of Leadership; Encyclopedia of Applied Developmental Science; Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America; Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology; Encyclopedia of Multicultural Psychology; Encyclopedia of Behavior Modification and Cognitive Behavior Therapy; Encyclopedia of Career Development; Encyclopedia of Community Encyclopedia of Health and Behavior; Encyclopedia of Human Development; Encyclopedia of Evaluation; Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics; Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods
- Annual Reviews: Psychology, law and social science, clinical psychology, political science,sociology, anthropology
- Handbook of research on the education of school leaders
- Encyclopedia of the social and cultural foundations of education
- Handbook of reading research
- Handbook of research on teaching the English language arts
- Handbook of reading disability research
- Cambridge handbook of creativity
- Encyclopedia of bilingual education
- International Review of Research in Mental Retardation KNIGHT REF RC 570 .I5 (search topics in this series)
- Encyclopedia of school crime and violence
- National Society for the Study of Education Yearbook 2004 - current
- A nice general source is CQ Researcher (covers many "hot" topics - not simply Education topics) (this is a search of Children in CQ Researcher)
- For more online reference sources see: Online Reference Tools
To look for articles in journals, newspapers, or magazines, you will need to start with an index. An index will allow you to look by subject or a few keywords which describe your topic or by author. Off-campus access will require you to login with your DuckID when accessing proprietary materials OR you can sign in using the VPN client. Once you have located an article you want, use the FindText button that will appear to verify if we have access to the article or use the "Request this item from another library" option to obtain a copy through Interlibrary Loan.
- ERIC via EBSCO
The main source for education, ERIC consists of citations to more than 850,000 records about all areas of education. ERIC is composed of citations to articles published in education journals and to ERIC documents which include curriculi, reports, standards, and other unpublished materials in education. ERIC indexes materials from 1966 to the present and is updated monthly.
- Education Abstracts
Education Abstracts covers English-language education periodicals and yearbook published in the U.S. and elsewhere. Subjects include administration teaching methods and curriculum, literacy, and government funding. Citations are available from 1983 to the present.
- Academic Search Premier
Provides coverage of some education journals. Also good for it's coverage of education topics in popular magazines such as Time and Newsweek. It does provide full-text access to some articles.
- Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA)
LLBA provides complete coverage of language and linguistics from about 600 journals.
- Social Services Abstracts, provides bibliographic coverage of current research focused on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development.
- PsycINFO provides indexing and abstracting for 1,900 journals in psychology and related disciplines.
- UO Library Catalog
Identify books, dvd's and other materials by topic, title or author; identify journals and magazines owned by the UO Library.
UO WorldCat offers a streamlined interface for search results that combine, into a single merged list, the collections of the UO Libraries, Summit libraries, and hundreds of other libraries worldwide. When searching in UO WorldCat, entries for items owned by the UO Libraries appear at the top of the list and include information about location and availability.
- American Educational Research Association
- National Education Association
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- Oregon Department of Education
- United States Department of Education
- Compilation of Federal Education Laws
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Citing Documents
The following are some of our faculty publications issued since January 2013.
Baker, S. K., Santoro, L. E., Chard, D. J., Fien, H., Park, Y., & Otterstedt, J. (2013). An evaluation of an explicit read aloud intervention taught in whole-classroom formats in first grade. Elementary School Journal, 113(3), 331-358. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/668503
Beghetto, R. A. (2013). Expect the unexpected: Teaching for creativity in the micromoments. In M. Banks Gregerson, H. T. Snyder, & J. C. Kaufman (Eds.), Teaching creatively and teaching creativity (pp. 133-148). doi:10.1007/978-1-4614-5185-3_10
Bolaños, D., Cole, R. A., Ward, W. H., Tindal, G. A., Schwanenflugel, P. J., & Kuhn, M. R. (2013). Automatic assessment of expressive oral reading. Speech Communication, 55(2), 221-236. doi:10.1016/j.specom.2012.08.002
Cummings, K. D., Park, Y., & Schaper, H. A. B. (2013). Form effects on DIBELS next oral reading fluency progress- monitoring passages. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 91-104. doi:10.1177/1534508412447010
Forrest, L., Elman, N. S., Huprich, S. K., Veilleux, J. C., Jacobs, S. C., & Kaslow, N. J. (2013). Training directors' perceptions of faculty behaviors when dealing with trainee competence problems: A mixed method pilot study. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 7(1), 23-32. doi:10.1037/a0032068
Harn, B., Parisi, D., & Stoolmiller, M. (2013). Balancing fidelity with flexibility and fit: What do we really know about fidelity of implementation in schools? Exceptional Children, 79(2), 181-193. http://cec.metapress.com/content/h37j35n0872633l0/
Kamata, A., Nese, J. F. T., Patarapichayatham, C., & Lai, C.-F. (2013). Modeling nonlinear growth with three data points: Illustration with benchmarking data. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 105-116. doi:10.1177/1534508412457872
Kratochwill, T. R., Hitchcock, J. H., Horner, R. H., Levin, J. R., Odom, S. L., Rindskopf, D. M., & Shadish, W. R. (2013). Single-case intervention research design standards. Remedial and Special Education, 34(1), 26-38. doi:10.1177/0741932512452794
Mazzotti, V. L., Rowe, D. R., & Test, D. W. (2013). Navigating the evidence-based practice maze: Resources for teachers of secondary students with disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 48(3), 159-166. doi:10.1177/1053451212454004
McIntosh, K., Reinke, W. M., Kelm, J. L., & Sadler, C. A. (2013). Gender differences in reading skill and problem behavior in elementary school. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions, 15(1), 51-60. doi:10.1177/1098300712459080
Murray, C., & Doren, B. (2013). The effects of working at gaining employment skills on the social and vocational skills of adolescents with disabilities: A school-based intervention. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 56(2), 96-107. doi:10.1177/0034355212452614
Petscher, Y., Cummings, K. D., Biancarosa, G., & Fien, H. (2013). Advanced (measurement) applications of curriculum-based measurement in reading. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 71-75. doi:10.1177/1534508412461434
Stevens, C., Harn, B., Chard, D. J., Currin, J., Parisi, D., & Neville, H. (2013). Examining the role of attention and instruction in at-risk kindergarteners: Electrophysiological measures of selective auditory attention before and after an early literacy intervention. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 46(1), 73-86. doi:10.1177/0022219411417877
Stoolmiller, M., Biancarosa, G., & Fien, H. (2013). Measurement properties of DIBELS oral reading fluency in grade 2: Implications for equating studies. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 76-90. doi:10.1177/1534508412456729
Sumi, W., Woodbridge, M. W., Javitz, H. S., Thornton, S., Wagner, M., Rouspil, K., & ... Severson, H. H. (2013). Assessing the Effectiveness of First Step to Success: Are Short-Term Results the First Step to Long-Term Behavioral Improvements?. Journal Of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders, 21(1), 66-78. doi:10.1177/1063426611429571
Van Ryzin, M. J., & Nowicka, P. (2013). Direct and indirect effects of a family-based intervention in early adolescence on parent−youth relationship quality, late adolescent health, and early adult obesity. Journal of Family Psychology, 27(1), 106-116. doi:10.1037/a0031428
Zvoch, K., & Stevens, J. J. (2013). Summer school effects in a randomized field trial. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 28(1), 24-32. doi:10.1016/j.ecresq.2012.05.002
Chapters in: Handbook of psychology, (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ,: John Wiley & Sons. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047061904X.html UO call number: KNIGHT REF BF121 .H213 2013
Belar, C. D., Mclntyre, T. M., & Matarazzo, J. D. (2013). Health psychology. In D. K. Freedheim & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 1. History of psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 488-506). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Handler, L., & Smith, J. D. (2013). Education and training in psychological assessment. In J. R. Graham, J. A. Naglieri, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 10. Assessment psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 211-238). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Squires, J., Pribble, L., Chen, C.-I, & Pomés, M. (2013). Early childhood education: Improving outcomes for young children and families. In W. M. Reynolds, G. E. Miller, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 7. Educational psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 233-256). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Walker, H. M., & Gresham, F. M. (2013). The school-related behavior disorders field: A source of innovation and best practices for school personnel who serve students with emotional and behavioral disorders. In W. M. Reynolds, G. E. Miller, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 7. Educational psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 411-440). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.